clevan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm now using RO water, I'm not overfeeding, I do a 20% water change weekly, my levels are fine yet I continue to be unable to get rid of the hair algae in my tank. Tank is about 18 months old (35 gallons) and I'm tempted to get rid of all the live rock (which is covered with the algae) and get fake stuff. Contents: clown fish, bicolor pigmy angel, 7 line wrasse, anenome, small crabs, etc. Sorry for the long post but can I change the rock with new rock or just get rid of it all together without killing the fish? Help I'm going crazy!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, no you can't just up and change out all the rock with new without going through a new cycle, and fake rock doesn't have the biological filtration that live does. Besides, the algae would simply recolonize the new live/fake rocks if you don't correct the underlying issue(s).

The rock isn't your problem, excess nutrients in the water are always the root cause with algae and your tank is pretty heavily stocked for its size. A 35 gallon tank (depending on rockwork and sand) can have as little as 25 gallons of water in it so I would start there and think about downsizing your bioload.

More info on your setup would be helpful. What are your nitrates testing at? Do you have a sandbed? Are you using a skimmer? What kind of lighting? How old are the bulbs and how many hoursdo you run it daily? Do you have a sump? You are using R/O now, but how long has it been since you switched and is the unit functioning properly? What do you feed, and how often?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the algae limited to only the live rock?

Was the rock ever exposed to very high ammonia levels over a long period of time?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very hard to shift once established as well. You might need to physically remove it (tearing off) instead of just waiting for it to fade away, once you've dealt with the underlying causes.

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even once you address the underlying cause, it will still take months for the algea to noticably receed (the algea has a good nutient reservior as it feeds of of itself after you've solved the underlying problems that brought it there in the first place). Pick off as much as you can by hand and you'll have to keep working at it until then.

As said before, Getting new rock will just start you over from the beginning. The algea will eventually cover that too anyway.

Another thing for you to consider (if you haven't all ready) is good flow. Flow keeps the water homogenized so filters and water changes can extract the gunk. Otherwise, you get pockets of high nutrient, low pH water in stagnant spaces near your rocks and sand bed. Even the best maintanence routine won't solve these microevironment problems.

clevan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses, I'll test again for the nitrate levels tonight. The bulbs were changed 3 weeks ago and the RO filter is 2 weeks old. I think the problem started as I let the lights go too long before changing. The algae is pretty much on the rocks and I've tried to scrub it off but it on pretty good. Any crabs, snails, other things that will help with the rocks? Maybe it's just a time thing like you guys said, I think I've resolved the reason for the algae

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae is HORRIBLE to try to get rid of.. You can tear it off and it WILL almost ALWAYS come back. After you get your water clean I would suggest cooking your LR for a few weeks (if that's an option).

I'm doing that now to my LR before I put it in a new tank, and what algae I had on the LR is fading pretty fast.

B

Lars

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue as you for over a year. The thing that finally worked was adding a phosban reactor. That, along with pulling and scrubbing, finally got rid of it. However, I still have very small patches but these are easily removed during water changes. Good luck.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Lars. I had a similar problem with the algae that just wouldn;t go away. My friend talked me into getting TLF PhosBan Reactor for the tank to lower the Phosphate in the water. So, I ordered this product and sure enough, within a few weeks the tank was clear of algae 95%. I would highly recomend trying it and if it doesn't work, their still good to have for overfeeding.

Here are some links to help you out:

Reactor:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant ... gory_Code=

Pump:

media:

The media, There are several brands of Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) media that work but this stuff is really good. The "High Capacity" stuff costs more but it is supposed to last longer before you need to change out the media. I am using the regular Phosar but i'll probably try the new "High Capacity" stuff when i run out. There are diferent sizes, bigger and smaller.

or

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: