paula1326

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm very new and my 90gTall is being setup now. I was going to go with 4" deep sand but my LFS advisor said to use a shallow 1" aragonite substrate, coarser than sand. I would like a "second opinion" please..... The rest of my setup is a 30 gal sump, 15 gal refug. I'm planning on inverts, corals & featherdusters, then some fish later. Thanks!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'm not a fan of coarse substrates. They don't offer the same nutrient export potential of a fine substrate as deep sand bed (which in itself will need maintenance) and are only really of benefit if you have particular tank inhabitants that need it.

paula1326

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone's opinion except my "advisor" at the LFS is to go with the DSB. That's is what I will do, plus that is what I had studied and researched for the past year.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go for a DSB, be sure to read up on what's required to keep it in good condition.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paula, just found this in my favorites, hope it helps.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic59558-13-1.aspx

DSB - Deep Sand Bed Potential
Anthony Calfo

For many years, we have seen the use of substrates in marine aquaria wax and wane in popularity. The issue has run the gamut from bare bottom through shallow bed to deep sand, and then back to bare bottom again. But even with the acceptance of truly deep sand beds in America by the mid 1990’s, DSBs did not see regular use until refugia were established some years later. The reasons are obvious, perhaps: refugia are smaller, more affordable and less risky “modelsâ€

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I wouldn't go with a DSB (by that I mean 6 inches or more). I would just go with standard argonite substrate ant a few inches deep. I've always done it, and it has always worked for me.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Calfo article above talks about 4"-6". I went for about 4" in my last tank. It also says that a shallower bed also has its benefits.

Try to get some Nassarius and Cerith snails if you can. Both will stir and agitate the substrate. A strombid or two would be good as well. I think these are better than a combination of hermits and turbos, personally. The turbos have a habit of knocking things over, including carefully placed frags and hermits are opportunistic foragers, occasionally eating what you'd rather they didn't.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DSB of fine sand, about 3" and am very happy. There are a few things that bother me however. One, once you really start to move the water flow around, the sand tends to pile. Then you have to keep pushing it back. Also, it blows around sometimes, specially if you have sand sifters. However, it does look nice and sure has its benefits. Another thing you might want to consider is white plastic cutting board. I sometimes wish I used this instead. Otherwise, go with the fine sand.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: