sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! I saw a starfish lookin thing on them a month or so ago and they would hitch rides on my snails and move around the tank...I could just sit in front of it for hours lookin for new stuff to pop out!

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just purchased my first fish, a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby...he should be here on Tuesday...I also purchased another coral, Australian Big Polyp Blastomussa (RED)...my other coral I moved to the sand because a supposed critter kept knocking him off my rock...the polyps are opening up wonderfully...I put half a capful of Marine Snow in the tank this morning...should I be supplementing with anything else or does Marine Snow cover all the food needs?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+181&pcatid=181

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed water today and tested all parameters and my pH was a tad low (8.0ish) so I added some "Proper pH 8.2" About 5 minutes later I looked in my tank and my Lavender Coral had this stringy white stuff comin out of it! What was that?! It's gone now except for a long transparent strand. And all the polyps are pretty closed up. I tried to get a picture but of course my camera is at work...

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two bits of advice on this front. Buy a trashcan to pre-mix your water in and
get IT to the proper PH, temp, etc before you contemplate a water change.
That should result in fewer surprises around WC time. This means another
small heater and maybe (preferably) a small powerhead to mix the solution.
But it is well worth it. The longer ahead of time you mix your WC water, the
more likely you will have stable parameters before and after.

The second is not to purchase quick-fix bottles, cause IME the only thing they
do quick is throw your tank into an uproar. Better to find a funny number on
your Ph test and see your corals get shrinky while things balance out than to try
to balance it out in one shot and have them go shrinky AND stringy (and maybe die).
What do "THEY" say?? Nothing good happens fast in an aquarium"?

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i know i know 8) lavender looked a little better this morning...opened up a fairly well but not all the way...but it's the most it's been opened all week...i get paid this weekend so a trip to the lfs is in order to see if i can't get some fishies and a peppermint shrimp to eat my aiptasia cause my other died...AGAIN!!! :x i'm getting SO fed up of my shrimp mysteriously dying...i got my crabs to live but i just don't know what it is...i'm wondering though if maybe my iodine is low...can you buy a test kit for that? i dose like 1 drop after every water change...the two peppermint shrimps i have had have done fine until they molt...they die a few days after molting...which i've read ("THEY" say haha) that if there isn't enough iodine in the tank that shrimps can have problems molting...hm...i am getting a burst of corraline growth on my walls and other miscellaneous man-made objects (powerheads, glass cleaner) and there are 20 million Asteriinid stars wandering around too (not really 20 million...just one of my favorite phrases...at least 3 though...and there pretty good size)...they disappeared for a little bit and now they are back full force...there are also some things on my glass that i doubt i could get a picture of but they REALLY small and appear circular buid (like a snail) but on the other side it looks like there is a feathery thing coming out of it...there is 1 maybe 2 and they are on the front so i can't really see them that well...everything appears to be going well though...calcium numbers are through the roof...magnesium is good...ammonia is a tad above 0 but nothing detrimental (I know it should be zero and i'm keeping an eye on it)...so yeah...i'm afraid one of blastos is losing it's neon green in the center...i'm afraid i'm not feeding them enough...i feed marine snow once a day to once every other day (half a cap) and when I had a shrimp i was putting frozen brine shrimp in the tank...i'm just afraid to overfeed cause i don't want my aiptasia to EXPLODE! wow way to go saltlick you made me puke all over the forum :lol: nothing new to look at so no new pics...hopefully soon though cause i'm ready for a change!!!

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your peppermint shrimp did his job properly, I would not look for a re-emergence
of aiptasia for awhile. Overfeeding should not cause them to return either. If you
have white snail-like objects with feathery ends, they are probably these hard tube
mini feather-dusters that appear once your tank is on a rocket-sled to maturity.
NO problems there. But I like to scrape them off the front and sides. The starfish
are another matter. They tend to take off. Perhaps a harlequin shrimp is in your future?
I am not sure about iodine, I think that salt mix has enough to support a couple shrimp
without too much supplementation, but having it on hand is good. maybe one drop per
week would be better. But keep in mind, I have alot of experience, but no real authoritative
knowledge, especially about water chemistry. I just read alot and make mostly common-
sense calculations about my stuff when things seem off. For the moment I would be more
concerned about your sof coral coming back to a less stressed existence and then dealing
with my pests. Like I said, harlequins eat those starfish. You may have to scrape em off
the glass to get them onto the substrate, but then again, shrimp seem to defy gravity.
Best of luck as alwys.

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah my coral is def the top priority...i'm just not real sure what to do other than feed a little more than normal, watch and wait...

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered a medium candy cane coral and a Ruffled Ridge Coral...will put pics up tuesday when they get here! lfs should get the fish i want in a couple of weeks...GAH!!!! patience :wink:

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, I like a coral I can FEED, and candy cane does the trick. Small bits of fresh
shrimp or fish flesh they will definitely enjoy. The Turbinaria, expect no trouble or
a mess of trouble, either one. I am hoping for NO trouble. Some can be tough to keep.
But if you find the right mix of light and flow you should be fine. Stability is what you
will need. Best of luck

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty so new pictures!!! I received my Ruffled Ridge and Candy Cane yesterday. I'm not sure if the Candy Cane is going to make it...I opened the box up and his bag had no more water in it...this will be the last thing i order from LiveAquaria...he does have his sweepers out tonight though once the lights turned off so i stuck some mysis shrimp in there and hoped that he would catch him something yummy!
sorry about the weird size thing...this is a small as the website will allow me to get it :(

Ruffled Ridge
P3030482-1.jpg

Candy Cane with sweepers out
P3030477.jpg

Blasto feeding (?) This one seems to be losing his green center...not enough light?
P3030479.jpg

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some musings on the new photos, first of all, excellent, thanks for showing them.
The Blastomussa, I AM NO AUTHORITY, but it looks like it is "gaping" at the mouth,
might be a sign of a weakened state, or hunger, I would hand-feed a mysis right into
the hole. Same for the Candy-cane. For the record, it LOOKS fine, I expected a worse
condition after it's trip incident. Same thing, I would hand or tong feed some tiny shrimp
chunks or a whole mysis to each head next time you see tentacles. It will need to eat
something soon after the ordeal, but from what I know of them, this one should definitely
make it. For that matter, I don't mean to say the blasto looks like it is dying. The turbinaria
looks pretty dang healthy. You need to put the tablecloth out tonight and enjoy them
all weekend!

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thanks! yeah i wasn't really sure...i don't know much about what corals want when they do certain things but i will feed them lots today!!!!!

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so not saying i am but :wink: .....if in a few months i decide to set my 29 back up as a saltwater tank and transfer my 10g into it, would this be a good light to use? My skimmer will still be sufficient but i'd def need a different light other than what's on my 29 right now for my freshwater fish...
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...xtures-AquaticLife-AK01035-FILTFIT54U-vi.html
just kinda lookin at costs and everything to know for the future :D you know...and the thought of having an empty aquarium is just unacceptable

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was going to pay in that ballpark for T5-s I would shop around for a similar
price and featuring individual reflectors for each lamp. If you can't find it, there
appears to be nothing wrong with the fixture you quoted. Don't forget your overflow
box, for your new 10 gallon sump, lol.

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, blablabla, typical me. There are fixtures with a shiny background, and there are
fixtures that feature an individual polished reflector around every lamp in the fixture.
It greatly increases the efficiency of the fixture, giving you more light into the water
per lamp for the same power consumption. Like I said, I would shop around to find
something in that price range but with individual reflectors. ANd when I say lamp, I mean
what everybody else calls "bulbs". Haha, I am an elitist. I got in the habit whenn I would
order "lamps" for TV production equipment. I liked the term and never stopped using it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: