Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want this to sound like an ad, so I left it out of the more trafficked forum. But there are
people in this room who are looking for their first rock, looking to add rock, etc. My tank is full
of rock, but I was so upset that I had missed the entire 700 lbs of Bali Alor rock that I figured
I would get 15-20 lbs of it when the fresh uncured stuff came in. It was posted as being a week
ago that is was set to arrive. Well it hasn't, but I still wanted some more rock. My tank is 85%
stocked with old dead white rock, but so well shaped and holed up and light that I never wanted
to part with it. So I am trying to seed it and algae it up.

So even as i am waiting for the Alor, they get in 700 lbs of Timor Sea rock the day before, so I
thought, 'the pictures of the last load that is sold out looked pretty good', but it was supposed
to be heavier than Fiji. I was not very excited at all, but I ordered up 17 lbs. I got it in yesterday
and this stuff is great. One piece was completely purple, and the rest were half purple. It is
not so heavy as you would think, and it is shaped very nicely. Two pieces I got looked very much
like this alor rock, obviously old acro and staghorn type coral skeletons from hundreds of years ago.
For 17 lbs I got three medium rocks and two small-medium rocks. I will take pics tonight and post
em up here. NOT a ton of sponge or green-red algae on these, but there are little crabs and mollusks
and worms. I think you can probably ASK for sponge and algae, but to tell the truth, as much as
I want to save BOTH, usually a cure rots off each of them before you are done. You may still get
a few cells and a holdfast to regrow the algae, but what you get on the rock that you think is so cool
is usually doomed. So what i got I am most pleased with. Short of a mini-city inside the rock, this
should be about a 2.5 week cure. There is nothing to really die off on that rock. I am feeding the
mollusks some phytoplankton daily, cause I like as many of them to stay as possible. This can also
grow any sponge I may be missing visually. And tubeworms that I see tubes for on some pieces,
but have as yet not seen the inhabitants come out. The rock smells good out of the box, and even
though it spent well over 48 hours in the cooler box, it had no odor of death at that point.

The few little crabs that came in the cooler box were fed to my Lunare wrasse last night. He deserves
something live . Poor thing, he patrols the tank looking under every rock, and he can't know that all this
rock used to be in a crate on my porch for 6 years. He ain't gonna find any critters to eat.

Sorry to drag on and on, but I wanted to let new reefkeepers know this rock was nice in case you were in the
market, and that's what web forums are there to do, help people get info they need. The photos should
really help, too.

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a review on the PA site that described this rock as being full of Aiptasia. Here is another
tidbit that can help you. Out of the 6 rocks I got, one did in fact have more than 8 Aiptasia.
I filled a pipette with well shook Aragamilk and gave 'em an oral disc full. After one day I had 3 left.
They must have liked the Aragamilk. Doused em yesterday and I think they are allgone for now.
The rest of the rocks were Aiptasia free. I treated the amemones in the holding/quarantine tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: