90galReefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm getting into the reef keeping after a five year hiatus. Right now i've built the stand and just finished the custom hood. Inside I've got two 400w MH plus two 48" T8 floresent light strips. My tank has overflow inside which will run down under to a sump/refuge. My questions are 1) what bulbs should be actinic? Both strips or just one. 2) what size heater(s) do u recommend. 3) what about the sand bed. Can I use a combination of play sand and crushed coral. I'm planning on this tank to be a reef setup. I'm trying to custom retro everything and I'm kinda broke so any money saving advice would be appriciated to. 4) what size pump should I get to pump the water back up to the tank? Thanks y'all and I'll be glad to post pics. I also may have some extra ballasts and bulbs if anyone is interested. I'll be posting pics as things progress. Super excited right to get this under way

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. With two halides, run both fluorescents as actinics.
2. The heater depends on how hot it is in your area, and how high you intend to your your aquarium's temperature. For a 90 gallon, I'd start with a 200-250W and add another if necessary.
3. The decision for sand bed is very personal. Some people like fine sand and some people like coarser sand. Some people like no sand at all, and some people like deep sand beds. All of these have been proven to work. Right now, the popular choices are fine (oolitic) aragonite sand or bare bottom tanks.
4. For return pump, I personally prefer to have lower turnover rates (around 5gph/gallon). I just don't like the problems involved with having a lot of water pass through the sump. Thus, I'd look for a pump that puts out about 400-600 gph at 5' of head.

90galReefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so can i get those aticnic's at Lowes or Home Depot? or are they are special LFS bulbs? and if i'm setting up the tank can i let the rock i make cure in the tank? or should i do that in seperate tubs?

90galReefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right now my tank is one week old and I just got done with my first brown algae bloom. I'm having a lot of water evaporation. And I'm wondering what is the best method to handle this. I have have 2 5 gallon buckets that I could fill with fresh water but how should I use this. Is there some sort of system that peeps usually use to top off their tank? What's the best method? Thanks for the help.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a rubbermaid trashcan to hold RO/DI water and a Litermeter that draws from it to topoff the tank. Works pretty well although you have to tweak the dose rate a few times a year due to seasonal changes in evap rates.

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about that. I used to have the undersink RO unit with the holding tank.
How does the water come out for the regular fish hobby machines, out of a pipe with no
control mechanism?? Just into a trash can?? I'd be interested to know, since I am just now
in the market for my RO unit, and I spend a week away from home several times a year.
The practicality of the unit to that kind of schedule is important. Would I get a low GPD
machine and come home to a full trash can?

SO as not to thread jack, it is really worth the money to install a RO unit, because it filters
the water and removes the hassle of buying distilled, and removes the temptation to add
tap water with some chloro-kill poured in (bad idea). It is good for YOU to drink filtered
water, but remember, you do not get flouride with that, so watch out for cavities. I use
regular water ice cubes with my filtered water. I think that works out in the wash. :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: