adicus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 Gallon with a 19 gallon fuge/sump combo for a total of 94 gallons. I have 123 lbs. of live rock and 90 lbs of live sand in the main tank. In the fug/sump I have a: Protein skimmer, heater, and two small pumps for UV and phosphate reactor.

I carefully measured the water when I added it and totaled only 60 Gallons. This seems low to me - anyone have an idea of the ratios? Also should I base my % of water changes on 60 Gallons or 94 Gallons?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound too far off. Is your 19 gallon fuge/sump fully filled? 125 lbs of LR should displace over 20 gallons, so it's just about 10 gallons that's not accounted for. A 75 gallon is really more like 70 gallons (since 75 gallons is based on external dimensions, and a tank is rarely filled to the brim). There could also be other variables that effect the results. But 60-70 gallons for your system is in the right ballpark.

I would base your water changes on your actual water volume, though the ratio isn't an exact since, and doing more wouldn't hurt :) Knowing the actual water volume is more useful when calculating additives (and medication).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: