littlefish09

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be setting up a 36gal tank. This is my first saltwater tank and i was looking for ideas and help on what im going to need for this.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, being a small volume will limit what you can keep and how many individuals can go into the system. Filtration can really be as simple or complex as you'd like--I've seen great little marine tanks running on undergravel filters, though that's not usually recommended for any but more advanced aquarists.

How much filtration and of what type is going to be determined as much by what species you plan on keeping as anything else, really. Same thing with lighting--is this fish-only or do you plan on trying to grow anything photosynthetic?

:welcome:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go with a sump & refugium, with a protein skimmer, and if you had good lighting might be able to get away with a bubbletip or long tip anemone assuming water quality remains good. Make that the display (I almost never see any tanks that are dedicated to the symbiosis that intrigues most of us enough to get into marine fishkeeping, IMO), clowns, couple of accoutrement gobies, and an anemone.

catfish1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new here also so dont take my advise over these folks, they are verry novice and profesional with much documneted information.

I have a 30 gallon tank salt water , I have 2 HOB filters that I have removed the filter media , I use them as small sumps,,,I have a airstone in each one that I can controll seperatly,, they also provide curent flow,I have 1 fluval canister filter that I use however I have removed the bio filter from it and only use the canister for charcoal and amonia control media,,,it also provides for water curent,,,, I would sugest that you start off slowly , dont rush this , you wont like the results.

I have allways used a couple of damsels to start the tank off.

They are verry hardy .

I would only sugest,,,, that you establish a colture of micro inhabitants ,, copepods , copepeds a asortment of snails when you start to see a little algae ,,,life in your rock dont start to bloom IMO untill after it has cured out, if you buy rock from a LFS it may or may not contain these necessary criters, and i tmay or may not be cured.

Test kits , are a must.

Thermometer a must.

It wouldnt hurt to have a extra tank around or at the least a 5 gallon water jug with the top cut off in case you need it.

They come in handy.

I would think the fish you described would be small enough to do well IF you maintain the water quality and temps they need and furnish them with a habitat that is close to their natural one..

There are quite a few who get into this hoby that dont last long because they did not do their homework and study the chosen inhabitants and their needs.

It can be verry heart breaking to buy a 35 dollar fish and wake up the next morning to see its tail sticking out of the mouth of a 5 dollar fish. :cry:

IMO you should also decide if you want to do a tank with corals and fish, a predator tank or just what ya want to do with it,,,I am definatly no expert on compatability however I did see a link on the forum that will guide you .

I always preferd a non predatorial tank .

Others like to see things eat other things.

Its all what ya like.

Keep in mind also one small but important thing and that is the availability of the parts for your equipment should something break down on you , it never hurts to have some sort of back up equipment regardless of size ,a few spare parts or even a extra air pump that runs on bateries,,,it may save the life of you new friends should something happen.

A good time to buy these items are while you are leting the tank cycle and you are board!!!!

Best wishes in your new hoby and I hope you can find the enjoyment that many others have .

I hope my coments are a worthy adition to what the folks on here have to offer.

I also would just sugest if you add a copeped or copepod couture to your set up after it is established to do it when the predators are not as active, I add my when the lights are off, it seems to give them a fighting chance to get to the rocks before they are eaten.

Cheers

Bill

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, yours is just as good. Most folks don't want to work with HOB or canister filters. Ingenious.

catfish1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You I do apreciate that.

Actualy the idea of HOB filters for mini sumps was from my old LFG from way back, it is a rather old concept that does work for smaller set ups,and can and wil get ya by ,I do however take credit fo the idea of adding the air stones!!! :lol:

Bill

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started, I also wanted to see what I could do economically without compromising the health and comfort
of the fish or critters. I did pretty well, but never could keep alot of coral. I will post a pic or two of my old setup,
but it was horrifically low light by todays standards. But I also recommend the use of a separate tank, even one outside
the loop of your main tank, becuase stuff HAPPENS, lol. It is good to have a decent and well maintiained home for
battered fish, growing safe copepod populations, curing live rock, growing macroalgae, etc. Even quarantine.
It costs a little more but it is a must when reefkeeping, I have found. Best of luck, and always remember the animal's
perspective when trying to skimp on the cost of something and while your tank is cycling. The first salt water is nearly
almost always an impulse deal, and animals suffer and die because of it. If you can slow way down, you will do better
for you and for animals. Also, try and detemine if there are reefers near you. They can help ALOT, sometimes with
live sand, starter rock, algae, corals, even animals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: