gatorbear

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have air bubbles on the back wall of my tank...and on some of the rocks. What causes this to happen and how is it fixed? Is this algae related somehow?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:

It's almost certainly algae related. A lot of algae will either trap bubbles or form bubbles (oxygen ... byproduct of photosynthesis). The most common type of algae that traps air bubbles is dinoflagellates (brownish algae, often with a snot-like consistency). You're going to have to control nutrients to reduce algae, and thus reduce bubble build up.

gatorbear

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info...I spoke with my local saltwater guru and he said pretty much the same thing. The algae build up is a reddish brown color on top of my powerhead...he said to treat it with Red Slime, which I did earlier today...I have done freshwater tanks for the last 5-6 years, and always stayed away from Saltwater for some reason, but not any longer...I am very happy to have Saltwater tanks...I have a 14 gallon Bio cube and a 10 gallon non-reef tank going currently...would love to have a bigger setup, but that is somewhere down the road a ways...thanks again for your feedback and the Warm Welcome! This looks like a great site for info and networking...

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae grows because there's excessive nutrients, so find some way to control nutrients to control algae. You do this by feeding more sparingly, using filter media like activated carbon and phosban (GFO), increasing protein skimming, and most importantly, keeping up regular water changes with high quality water (reverse osmosis systems are VERY worthwhile to own). I am not a fan of using chemicals like Red Slime Remover to kill certain algae since it doesn't address the root cause of the problem.

gatorbear

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks once again...I also would rather stay away from use of any chemicals, and I will make note of the suggestions you made. There is a Phosban bag in the back of the tank, and I did a water change in the last 5 days of 3.5 gallons. What feeding schedule would you recommend for 2 Clowns and a Bangaii Cardinal? Every other day? I do have the protein skimmer that came with the tank, and will get that running. I keep hearing different opinions on the smaller tanks like mine.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this tank is less than 4 months old or so It is most likely diatoms, particularly if it kind of looks like dust. If it IS DIATOMS just let it run its course. It will die off pretty quickly within a few weeks with decent husbandry.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: