• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Oreo0313

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm new to this hobby, so this site and everyone's posts are a goldmine. I have a problem with the placement of my sump return pump. The previous owner placed the sump return pump 2 feet behind the entire unit. This won't work, as I'm placing the system against the wall. So, I have only two options. The first, I can elevate the pump slightly above the sump, making sure to fill the hose lines with water before starting the pump. Is this a good idea? Or I could place the pump in the sump. The only problem with the second option is that I can't find any information on whether my pump is submersible or not. It is a pan world px 100. I'd rather elevate the pump if it's possible, that way I don't have to plug the existing hole in the acrylic. Again, I'm totally green when it comes to this hobby, and plumbing in particular. Thanks in advance for your help!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
change the plumbing so it is not the two feet behind the sump.

But do not elevate the pump. Water must flow freely to the pump intake.

jamespipers

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is better not to elevate the sump pump to let the water flow freely. Try to change the two feet pipe to be more effective. I hope it is fixed by now.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a "U" with the plumbing and place the pump on the side of the sump. The pump you have is not submersible.

AZDesertRat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to drill your sump and install a bulkhead so the pump suction stays flooded and below the waters surface, what is called positive suction head.
Up and over suctions are a disaster waiting to happen, all it takes is a loss of prime from a air bubble, pin hole leak or seal failure and you are SOL. Cenrtrifugal pumps do not lift water so elevating the pump is not an option and the Panworld is not submersible.
The easiest option would be to sell the Panworld and get a submersible pump such as an Eheim, Ocean Runner or one of the new Water Blaster pumps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: