Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just begun to top a thread in general reefkeeping, and I realized it was a bad idea. The thread was
from 5 years ago and it was in a forum for people who probably know better. BUT...

It has come to be my firm belief that people who get totally out of left field red Cyanbacterial outbreaks are
still using tap water in their tanks, "cause I use the stuff that neutralizes the chlorine." I had a nice tank
going on for a long time and then one day, bam, and I mean BAM, red cyano. But i was sure I could do what
no one else in history had done, successfully run a reef tank on tap water. Someone on a thread said that the
red slime came in on a rock from the LFS, and I am pretty sure they belived it to be true. It's much more likely
that one day the BILL just came due. And the person had coincidentally just come from the fish store.

While we are on the subject, let's remember that for the same reason that we do not top off our tanks with
salt water, we cannot sustain periods of topping off with tap water because the water evaporates and leaves
behind iron, phosphate, copper, lead, salts and who knows what, and every gallon that goes in leaves more
and more and more and more and more. I know that most of you know this and have known it for some time,
probably even from before you decided to set up a reef. But I also know that probably as many as ten percent of
you are doing it today. And it's not against the law. But that's where the unwanted algae comes from many times.

And of course, your LFS guy is more than happy to sell you a bottle of slime-killer that will kill your slime attack,
and also kill your biological filter that you spent three weeks creating. In other words, you will likely have to
recycle your tank and kill or hurt all of your creatures. But they won't tell you that. And it is like that with most
quick fix bottles. It is much better to understand the sequence of events and actions that start the plague and
how to avoid it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltlick":va6bjceo said:
I had just begun to top a thread in general reefkeeping, and I realized it was a bad idea. The thread was
from 5 years ago and it was in a forum for people who probably know better. BUT...

It has come to be my firm belief that people who get totally out of left field red Cyanbacterial outbreaks are
still using tap water in their tanks, "cause I use the stuff that neutralizes the chlorine." I had a nice tank
going on for a long time and then one day, bam, and I mean BAM, red cyano. But i was sure I could do what
no one else in history had done, successfully run a reef tank on tap water. Someone on a thread said that the
red slime came in on a rock from the LFS, and I am pretty sure they belived it to be true. It's much more likely
that one day the BILL just came due. And the person had coincidentally just come from the fish store.

While we are on the subject, let's remember that for the same reason that we do not top off our tanks with
salt water, we cannot sustain periods of topping off with tap water because the water evaporates and leaves
behind iron, phosphate, copper, lead, salts and who knows what, and every gallon that goes in leaves more
and more and more and more and more. I know that most of you know this and have known it for some time,
probably even from before you decided to set up a reef. But I also know that probably as many as ten percent of
you are doing it today. And it's not against the law. But that's where the unwanted algae comes from many times.

And of course, your LFS guy is more than happy to sell you a bottle of slime-killer that will kill your slime attack,
and also kill your biological filter that you spent three weeks creating. In other words, you will likely have to
recycle your tank and kill or hurt all of your creatures. But they won't tell you that. And it is like that with most
quick fix bottles. It is much better to understand the sequence of events and actions that start the plague and
how to avoid it.

Although tap water may be bad for delicate corals, people actually did have successful reef tanks with tap water many years ago. But then some tap additives like zinc compounds created problems and even those people switched to ro/di

I do not agree the tap water in and of itself causes cyano. By balancing out the tank so that corals, corraline and other desirable algaes consume the nutrients, cyano will have a hard time becomming established. From what I hear it is possible for the tank to become nitrate starved resulting in a tank that quickly becomes cyano dominated. One very effective method of dealing with that is to kill the lights to kill off the cyano and return nutrients including nitrates at the ratio needed by the corals and corraline.

my .02

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah, I am not going to lie, I SPEAK from experience. My first reef, a 110 gallon about 7
years ago was all tap water all the time, but after a year of that, I got wise and started using
only RO water. You might be able to get corals to use up all the nutrients in the water, but iron
is going to do ONE thing, feed algae, and heavy metals and copper aren't going to be used up by
any corals. They will just build up and conspire to kill your tank, spectacularly so. But I don't guess they
cause Cyano outbreaks, at least. You may be right, but it is amazing how many people just squirt some
clorine-eliminator in the water and pour it in, forgetting the evaporative mathematics. And if tap water
isn't causing algal blooms, at the very least, it accelerates nutrient related problems. At least IMNSHO :wink:

But from reading your signature, maybe I am dead wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Or the hundredth.

And I do remember reading that tap water use was pretty common at one time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltlick":3m2w9txh said:
But from reading your signature, maybe I am dead wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Or the hundredth.

And I do remember reading that tap water use was pretty common at one time.

Me too. :lol: and probably more times then you.

my .02

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but it is amazing how many people just squirt some
clorine-eliminator in the water and pour it in,

IMO your right, there are a million of people in the hobby who just dont care about tank husbandry, have a fish tank and are going to keep doing what their doing. But, those people are not visiting forums regularly in an effort to learn more about successful reefkeeping. IME, people who are visiting the reef forums, quickly switch to using to RO/DI after learning the pitfalls of tap water.
Your preaching to the wrong choir.

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":35sq2zby said:
Your preaching to the wrong choir.
Well, yes, and no. THIS IS the new reefkeepers forum after all. :mrgreen:
But you are right in that people who read every post they can get often realize
they might be the only RK in the place that still uses tap water, and end up
making that purchase, once they have filled their tank space and have run out
of other things to buy. :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: