Arame

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some of this horrible algae hitchhike on some zoas. Peroxide dipped them at first but it grew back worse than before and the more I pick at it the worse it gets, I have multiple patches around the tank now :( starving it out has not worked and none of my hermits or snails touch it. Does anyone know of a way to kill it? I’m thinking about using Vibrant or fluconazole and following up with an urchin or two? Any suggestions are appreciated I really don’t want this stuff to spread any more!
1781f87b15e14897adfe91f13099e5a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arame

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide dip two days in a row, then manual removal. I use 30% peroxide to 70% tank water for 45 seconds.

I have tried 50/50 peroxide dip and it came right back :( I’m thinking I’ll have to manually remove all of it

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
looks nice and fleshy for a zebrasoma tang to eat.
A snail isn't going to eat that, and a hermit crab is probably too small for it. An urchin is probably not going to help either, I've kept many in the past, they graze on rock surfaces, around the algae. You may have to try different species of urchins though, I've kept tuxedo and florida pin cushin urchins. Why don't you simply remove the rocks and let it dry out? that will take care of it after a day in the air. You'll have to salvage whatever lifestock you have on the rock though.

Arame

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks nice and fleshy for a zebrasoma tang to eat.
A snail isn't going to eat that, and a hermit crab is probably too small for it. An urchin is probably not going to help either, I've kept many in the past, they graze on rock surfaces, around the algae. You may have to try different species of urchins though, I've kept tuxedo and florida pin cushin urchins. Why don't you simply remove the rocks and let it dry out? that will take care of it after a day in the air. You'll have to salvage whatever lifestock you have on the rock though.

It’s a 10 gallon so no fish can eat it lol, I also heard tangs don’t touch it. I also can’t take the rocks out as there are colonies already growing on them (I’ve heard another horror story about someone leaving the rocks out for a month and the algae still survived!). Thank you for the suggestions though, I have decided to pick out as much as I can with tweezers and cover the rest up with frags and macros so I can’t see it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: