YVR97

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new to this all but I'm working out the future projects for the tank.

Do you suggest Ozone or not? I have 75gal reef and using Octo skimmer which I will feed it though...I think?!

Is it worth the risk?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The ozone/UV light sterilizers work, but it has to be really, really over the capacity of what you're probably looking at., not any of the little ones you can buy, which wouldn't give you the protection you're looking for, they would be in multiple hundreds of $ range, rated for the 150+ gallon capacity. plus they have maintenance costs.
Its much cheaper to quarantine your fish for ich, and prevent it from getting in, in the first place. Other pests like cyano, dinos and green water can be controlled if/when the problem arises.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Ozone is mainly used for water clarity, UV for parasites. It can indirectly help with certain fish diseases such as fin rot because of pristine water clarity and reduction of toxins and oxidation of the "yellows" in your tank water aka fish waste.
Its a difficult machine to master and definitely becoming less and less used in modern day tanks with skimmers and uv sterilizers and and myriad means of nutrient export.
I did a bit of research on it for my 200G setup before running it and ultimately decided the risk wasnt worth the end goal. I think it you're running a massive system with dominant sps and you really want to maximize your lighting penetration, ozone will be beneficial. On a 75;, esp just starting out, it is one less thing to get you caught up in the nuances of this hobby. KISS is the way to go in this situation. A carbon reactor does a lot of the work ozone would do with much less headache.
Totally go for a overrated UV tho...i run one rayed for almost double my tank size and its about 4' long...knock on wood no fish parasites and decent water clarity in 2.5 years.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: