Rating - 100%
103   0   0
If I were you in my opinion get a brand that had been up and running for a long time and that if your having issues they can have someone in customer service help you. As well they have all the replacement cartridges that is needs. (Bulk reef supply)

Peter C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Highly recommend a unit where you can put a second RO unit on. Make twice the amount of water in half the time.

Also how big is you tank and how frequently do you do water changes? 50GPD is not much - will take around 3 hours to make 5 gallons.

Peter C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Make an informed decision by answering the following questions

What's the quality of your municipal water? (High or low TDS, are there Chloramines?)
Do you think there is a good chance you may get a larger aquarium in the future?
What is your budget?
Are you willing to look for a better used one at a good decent price?

If you have good quality water from the facet and low budget the system above makes sense. But read the reviews and understand the limitations.

rookiereefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i live in queens so no chloramines. my faucet water TDS is 40.
and my budget is from 100~200 but cheaper the better and no plan for a larger tank for at least good 10 years lol

Peter C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a used Red Sea Reefer 170 (34 gallons) in April 2020, six months later, I bought a used Red Sea Reefer 425 XL (88 gallons).

The RODI system you mention from Amazon above will work for you. Just realize that for every gallon of RODI water you make, 4 gallons of waste water will go down the drain.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
What part if queens are you in? Here at rego park, I use tap water. Yes I do get brown slime growing on the side of the bucket, but my skimmer and macro algae harvest probably takes everything out. As for heavy metals, I remembered from my old college classes that NYC has some of the cleanest water sources, from the Catskill. The city pipes and building pipes on the other hand leach, but if you live in a building, the water volume from multiple apartments, flushes that out. Simply running the tap for a minute will also flush out the worst of the leachate.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
I use the same RODI unit, and it works flawlessly. I initially used this for my 12 gallon tank, but now upgraded to a system with 70 gallons total. It took forever to fill the tank up, but for water changes going forward I shouldn’t have a problem. Personally I would recommend the unit and the brand. Their customer service is great - answered all my questions when I was assembling it!

A4edwin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Listen I recommend you go with this. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-100-gpd-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html you don’t want to sit there waiting to long to make water. From experience you’ll get tired of that very quickly. And you might decide to switch tanks next week so in case you do at least your Rodi setup will be ready. I had bought the 75gpd and switched the diagram out for the 100pd big difference.
I got this and it takes forever so what can i do to make this **** go faster

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
a booster pump will make a huge difference, most dont get proper pressure to unti which kills filters and di much faster, i use the aquatic life ro buddy and their ro booster 200 between the two,,, look on petco for the rodi unit and use the discount for curbside pick up

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: