• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
My larger blue legged hermits have been feasting on my snails. I am assuming that the crabs are not getting enough to eat. I have to say that i do FEED alot but i guess not enough. Should i feed the crabs with like some raw shrimp or something????

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
WOW you are quick. Before i hit post i think you replied already LOL

I have heard that, but the shells are just laying there empty now. A few have been for weeks, i am not gonna take them out so that the crabs can move in, but i dont want to have to keep replacing the turbos (they do such a nice time keeping glass clean)

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
They have to try on to make sure it fits.
If not.....well:

sad (13).gif

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
How old is the system? There may not be sufficient macroalgae/microalgae for the crabs (increasing their desire to eat snails) or for the snails (weakening them making them more vulnerable to hungry crabs).

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Most likely the snails were weakened, and probably would have died anyway. First, the snails may not have enough of the right type of algae to eat...there may be plenty in the tank, but what they need nutritionally may be in short supply...possibly there is a change in water chemistry- turbo's are far more susceptible to chemistry changes than hermits or fish. They could have fallen down- turbo's and astreas have trouble righting them selves when they fall on their backs and there's nothing to grab on to. When a hermit sees a snail in this position, they go for it. Sometimes the crab inadvertantly rights the snail, in which case the snail is fine. If the snail weakens, the crab wins. Take care, Eric

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I will accept the losses. No big deal, i was just curious if this was normal. Someone said that there might be plenty of algae. I actually have NONE that is visible. Other than coraline. No green algea at all. And when tehre is a tiny amount on the glass it is gobbled up by the snails..

kenske

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Mee Too. No hermits in my tank. All they do is kill my snails and knock things over. Useless, IMO. There are many other scavengers to choose from.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: