• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tankedalot

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Decision to make. I need 2 protein skimmers. 1 for a 26gal Bowfront with approx 40lbs LR, 3" sandbed, which I'd like to try corals in. New to corals so I want easy to care for corals that I can learn with and not do too much damage to these great creatures.

The other is a 20g tall FOWLR tank, 3" sandbed.

Both tanks have ocean water from Robert Moses beach and both get a 5 gallon WC every Sunday. Both have chemical filtration with carbon and phosban only. Both have powerheads (26g Askoll PH802, 20g is a Penguin 170gph).

I'm thinking of an Aqua C Remora for the 26g. Is this a good choice or is there something better? I don't know about the 20g, but I don't want to spend a fortune! The Remora is $165 new. If anyone has one lying around I'd love to pick it up! lol

I really would like some opinions here. I don't have a sump on either, (no room right now) so a HOT is pretty much what I'm limited to.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
Jake

PS Love the :tank:! I'm a tanker in the National Guard (hence the handle) and I think that tanker is the BOMB! LOL

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
skimmer

love my remora, there was 1 r 2 on here f\s some will say you have to have one other's wont, alot depends on the bio-load and how often you do water changes

tankedalot

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that water because:
A. It's free.
B. It's super close.
C. It's the same water that was in the Caribbean a week ago.
D. I figure, how terrible could it really be? It's definitely more natural than the mixes.

I just think that it makes sense and I'm trying to be as natural as possible.
But thanks for the advice!

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I use that water because:
A. It's free.
B. It's super close.
C. It's the same water that was in the Caribbean a week ago.
D. I figure, how terrible could it really be? It's definitely more natural than the mixes.

I just think that it makes sense and I'm trying to be as natural as possible.
But thanks for the advice!

I would not compare any water from the ocean around here to water in the carribean. The water near the US coast line up here is soooo polluted. Not a good idea. Natural is a good idea, but should not subject the fish to these pollutants. If the water was good enough to use then you would see more livestock in the oceans here.

IMO not a good idea to use sea water for your tank.

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
...If you've got a boat and can go out a ways to collect the water, that's better - there are some places from which MR members collect water, but if I remember correctly, it's pretty far out on Long Island. I could be wrong, tho - check out Paul B's threads - he uses NSW (natural salt water) that he collects, but I don't think he gets it right from the beach.

General rule of thumb is that the beach is the "dead zone" - animals get washed up there and pollution that is dumped there remains near the beach thanks to the wave action. Good for the ocean, bad for the beach.

I used a Remora HOB for years on a 55-gal tank with no sump with very nice results, but i had a light bioload. Some will say it's good for that - others will say it's not good at all - but you have to be realistic! It sounds like the Remora HOB is a good option for you.

My advice is along with the filtration you've got going, just make sure you've got plenty of flow within the tank - that's going to make a HUGE difference in the health of your animals!

Best of luck!

tankedalot

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Daisy,
I made the decision to go with NSW based on Paul B's thread. I do have a very light bioload. I don't plan on any more than 3-4 fish per tank with the assorted cleaning crew. That's difficult with two boys that want every fish in the store each time we go! LOL

So far they've been very understanding and it helps that we have a small freshwater tank to raise guppies in.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: