Help my LTA Bit Me!!!!!!

fishguy23

New member
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Location
07675
When I moved my LTA from my display to the refugium, its tentacles stuck to my hand and I guess it bit me, it didnt hurt, just a tiny hole in my hand, but it's itchy around it! Should I seek medical care (really embarassing if I have to/lol) or is there anything I can take, maybe benadryl and some cream? Its a lil itchy. I handle those guys all the time, but I guess it wwant happy when I moved him!
 

masterswimmer

www.saltwatercritters.com
Rating - 99.5%
439   2   0
Location
NY
I got stung a few years ago. My thumb swelled up to the point that I couldn't bend my finger for about 2-3 weeks.

It's like a bee sting, people react different to the toxin. If your reaction is more severe than you feel comfortable with, seek medical attention. Please don't accept a blanket statement from anyone saying that it'll be ok in a day or two. There's no way for them to know how your body will respond.

swimmer
 

fishguy23

New member
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Location
07675
Point well taken, Russ.....after getting stung, the area around the sting became itchy and broke out in mild hives, I used a lil anti itch benadryl and it seems to be working, cant believe I got stung by that lil bastard
 

Chiefmcfuz

Active member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Location
You don't care
For all intents and purposes you were a fish. Anemone's cannot differentiate between a human and a fish so it did what it always does when something got into it's tentacles it stung whatever it was to kill it and eat it. It has no intellect at all. pay attention to what you are doing in your tank and this should not happen again or wear gloves.
 

h20 freak

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
PA =(
If the nematocysts(spelt so wrong:rolleyes:) work anything like a box jellyfish, then according to a discovery channel special on box jellys, the sting is more like a reflex that they don't think about.But then again, I don't think the piles of goo we call anemones think much at all.
 

fishguy23

New member
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Location
07675
It was a freak accident, although I am always cautious, I have always handles them w/caution...ESPECIALLY W/ THE CURLY QUES (TENTACLES STICK LIKE GLUE).in this case I had the anenome on a LR and I wanted to transfer into the fuge, my hand was nowhere near the anenome, but when I lifted the rock to the top of the tank, my koralias blew the tentacles torwards my hand and thats how I got stung.

The sting was more sever than I thought:
Day 1: Gash on hand (tear)
Day 2:Hives around the area
Day 3: Severe itching
Day 4: Treating w/ a cortisteroid & anti-itch
Day 5: Extreme rash, itchiness, swollen hand and hives spreading
Day 6: Couldnt get a DR's appt, so I decided to go to the ER....I was prescribed an anti-inflamatory, steroid & an anti itch oral meds/No creams! The Dr. likend it to a jelly fish sting!

I AM AND ALWAYS REMAIN OVERLY CAUTIOUS WHEN HANDLING THESE GUYS....!
 
Last edited:

that fish guy

New member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I got stung by my bubble tip anemone I was told to pour API melafix on my hand. When I did I stopping itching and my hand never swelled up. I was told if you get stung by any coral or anemone you should put melafix on the sting.
 

Featured Sponsors


Top