LadyR

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
After much thought I have decided to start a tank and I desperately need advice. In your experience what is the best way to go about building my tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The best advice I can give you is to start in the beginners forum and read read read. Then when you are done with that go to the general discussion and read some more. Answer a few questions for me. What kind of tank are you setting up? Fish only or a reef? What type of fish do you plan on keeping? What type of corals do you plan on keeping? Do you have a tank already? What size if you do and what size do you plan to get if you don't?

Rtam3185

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Learn from my experience (and possibly others)and save some $$. Get the biggest tank you can comfortably afford and fit in your home. Don't make the same mistake that most of us made. Buying a small tank ...getting all the equipment for it, then upgrading within months. Secondly, take it extremely slow. Read up on the nitrogen cycle if you don't already understand it. Like Chief said..read read read! and don't forget to ask questions.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Learn from my experience (and possibly others)and save some $$. Get the biggest tank you can comfortably afford and fit in your home. Don't make the same mistake that most of us made. Buying a small tank ...getting all the equipment for it, then upgrading within months. Secondly, take it extremely slow. Read up on the nitrogen cycle if you don't already understand it. Like Chief said..read read read! and don't forget to ask questions.

If you start with a smaller tank it might cost you more money in the long run, but its much cheaper to set up.
I found an aquapod or some all in one nano makes a good starter tank.
No sense spending all kinds of crazy money if you decide in 6 months its too much work. Less money for stocking and setting up might be a good thing.
Worst case scenario is you find out you love it and end up with 2 tanks:lol_large

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
everyone has there own good points The ONE point everyone has and is 100% about is research is KEY thats if you have 0 ideas of what your end product to be

You can own a nice reef by not going SPS IMO I feel LPS is much cheaper and to a new reefer much easier to keep, yet still very pleasing to the eye

Some people LOVE fish and go from there OTHERS love their corals and have to choose their fish to accomidate their Reef

and the story goes on and on and on lol

Good luck with your research I hope I helped alittle

Dave

Where are you in NY ?

Last edited:

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it from the guy who got it so horribly wrong its painful to think of. Don't skimp in the beggining, get a big tank,awesome skimmer, don't even start without an RO unit and do what the people here tell you, not the guy at the fishstore down the block. Read alot of course.

LadyR

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. I am definitely going to take it slow and research my behind off. LOL. I'm so glad I found this place. I feel that I will learn alot from you all.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: