sasso718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.

My son has a nice 72L x 24W X 23H, 150G tank in the lobby of his school. Until last year it was a Cichlid tank. A real eyesore.

I finally got fed up and decided it was time to fix this puppy up and make it a reef tank!

So, I bought an icecap T5 retro fit kit, 8x36 inch bulbs on two ballasts w/reflectors, etc. Coralife skimmer, powerheads, etc. Which are all installed and ready to go. Next week I will begin curing the live rock in the tank.

Does anyone have any good ideas what fish/corals would work well in this tank/environment? Its a busy lobby so I want fish that aren't shy and don't get scared easily. I am thinking a pair of clowns, and some Chromis later on, but i'd lik eto put some peaceful fish in first.

Its for a kids private elementary school and i want it to be really nice for the next generation of reefers.
:tub:

Also, anyone have any frags or fish they want to donate?

Thanks. I'll post pics once its up and running...

Last edited:

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank-bred clowns are used to people and "nemo" is a kids favorite. Anthias are always bold and in the open. A school of lyretails would be great in that tank. The pulsing of xenia would probably be a favorite. Kids like bright colors so keep that in mind.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Wouldn't go with Anthias for this application, because from what I've read they need to be fed quite often and constant feedings may not be an option. Definately go with a pair of clowns.

Since the tank is large, maybe someone could chime in on a couple tangs that would be suitable, since they're always out in the open.

sasso718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I am thinking:

Pair of mated clowns: Maroonw/yellow or Ocellaris, Preferably tank-bred.
1 Blue tang
3 Lyretail Anthias (2 female, 1 male)
4 Chromis
1 Yellow Tang

I will also be adding SPS, Mushrooms, Polyps, & possibly a Sea Fan.

What do you think???

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
The main thing I would consider before even thinking about a livestock list is who is going to care for this tank. Will you be caring for the tank on a daily basis. The one thing I have noticed about schools is that alot of times when animals are keep sometimes they can be neglected. Perfect example. A classroom where I work brought a betta in. Well they went on vacation for two weeks, maintanence staff almost killed it by placing it on a window sill I recued it and since the teacher has been back no one has bothered to look for the fish or even ask about it. Its nice to bring out knowledge to children but sometimes you have to worry about the staff. I agree with Nano about the anthias. As nice as they are I dont think they are a good fit. I would plan to make this tank as hands free as possible and as low maintanence as possible as well. I am facing the same issue and its only a ten gallon tank which may contain a few tetras. And touching on the matter of vacation time, I used to be head of maintenece for my former high school and there was very very little staff during the summer months. If your sons school is almost at a point where its closed during the summer break who is going to take care of the tank. Some schools to save on electrical cost shut power down to certain sections. That would be bad news for the tank. Just some things to sleep on.

sasso718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
George,

Thanks for the great advice. I am planning on using an qutiomatic feeder in the tank so we should be ok when school is closed etc.

Cleaning also wont be an issue.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I would make it softy tank, with maybe some LPS. Things that are really hard to kill. SPS are too high maintenance, and when things go wrong they need immediate attention.

sasso718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Matt. I actually meant LPS not SPS. I usually make the mistake thinking that because they are 'small' polyped, they are the easier ones to maintain.

My goal is to keep the tank as simple as possible, yet as vibrant as possible.

Keep the thoughts coming.

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
what is the tank sitting on??? is it one of those ulgy metal stands... if so I can help out on making a skirt for it if you get the material.

Bueller

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
You said the tank was running before. Was copper ever used to treat the tank?

Excellent question...

I understand what you want to do and I applaud you for it. Just think it may be more of a headache for you unless you have someone that is as interested in the tank and hobby as you.

With that said. I have plenty of xenia to donate when you are ready.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I don't know how I missed this thread? I have been doing the same thing at my son's public elementary school for 2 years and all of the concerns listed above are real and need to thought through very carefully. Summertime is particularly difficult, both in terms of maintenance and in terms of heat. I work closely with the science teacher and between us and the older kids we can get it done, but it needs to be well planned out. Still, the rewards are worth the hassle--- the kids just love it, and they learn a lot too. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. BTW, where in Bklyn. is the school located?

Randy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: