D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
is your heater on? maybe its broken Also is it a Digital thermometer-sometimes they brake or just never work correctly
what kinda lights are on the tank MH?- if so you might eventually need a chiller.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
If you have lights on, you should turn them off. No need for them to be on when curing rock. 86 is way too warm.

As the others said, add some clip on fans to blow across the surface of the water to cool it off.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
If you have lights on, you should turn them off. No need for them to be on when curing rock. 86 is way too warm.

As the others said, add some clip on fans to blow across the surface of the water to cool it off.

No but you may want to leave the lights on alittle to keep some color on the rocks

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Do you have "versa tops" on your tank? If so take them off and through them away lol, once I ditched my versa tops my 150 Gal tank dropped 10 degrees! Topless is the way to go! (unless you have jumping fish, if so KathyC Makes a sweet tank cover;)

sasso718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 8 36" T-5's but they are not on for the curing, and are not supposed to run hot. The ballasts are on the outside of the canopy so that shouldnt be adding any heat. There is a UV sterilizer plumbed in, but i dont think that causes heat. So it might just be all the water movement causing heat.

I will turn off the heater just to see what happens.

The tank has a canopy, but also has the glass tops. I am considering removing the glass and just keeping the canopy.

I am thinking installing a couple fans. One pushing air in, and one on the other side taking air out?

I am trying to avoid buying a chiller. But I may have no choice...

let me know...I'll keep you updated on the main tank thread...

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Take off the glass tops.

Do you have a controller? If you get a fan in that canopy and you'll be fine. If you have a controller you can set it to turn off your heater and lighting in the event the tank gets too hot and turn on the fan.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
lets put it this wy. lets say room temp stays at a constant 78 degree's now add power heads and pumps only figure to add anywhere from 2-10 degree's to the tank, if you are trying to stay away from a chiller you'll need fans for the sump and one or more to blow across the tank and dont believe t5's dont have that much heat as someone who ran them for 1.5 yr's not as hot as mh but not that cool either

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: