Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Hi every one!

I?ve got about 2 years of reef experience and about 3 years of fresh water prior. My 12G nano has been running for a little over a year and I want to upgrade.

The tank of choice is an Oceanic Tech 70G. I plan on keeping mostly softies and mushrooms. But in the back of my head I know I?ll eventually want SPS too.

I already have an Aqua Controller Jr, ATO, RO/DI, etc. from my old tank.

I need to pick out a new light & skimmer. Please help!

From my research, the tank is 25? high, 18? deep, and has a 12? opening between the euro-bracing. I have my eye on the ATI 6X39W Powermodule. It?s 13.5? wide. Can I route ?? off each side of the euro-bracing? Will 4X39 be enough light?? I also have looked at the Outer Orbit w/ 2X MH or the TX5. I really want the perfect light (short of buying an LED system). I also would like ?flip up brackets? to direct mount them on. I know, I know, I want it all?

For the skimmer, I would like to keep it under or around $500. I have credit with Saltysupply.com.
I am looking at the Octopus NW-150, Octopus DNW-150, or the Precision Marine Bullet 1.
Any suggestions? I?ve already owned an AquaC Remora (too loud!) and Tunze 9005. I want this next skimmer to really WOW me. I?m tempted to throw out the budget and go for the Bubble King.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Why would you want to route off any part of the eurobracing? Usually it is there for a structural reason.
If your concern is some corals receiving less light, then place the ones requiring more light directly under the openings and the others off to the sides.

Nice looking light btw :)

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
It's like $250 extra to go from the 4 light to the 6 light model. I'd hate to waste the extra light...

edit: I only want to take off 3/4" of the 3" wide bracing... They must have a saftey factor in there, right? :tongue1:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It's like $250 extra to go from the 4 light to the 6 light model. I'd hate to waste the extra light...

Is the tank 25 " deep (top to bottom?)..IMO I'd go for the 6 light fixture, plus there would be more of it to pass through the eurobracing. Buying now beats the heck out of having to upgrade later :)

edit: I only want to take off 3/4" of the 3" wide bracing... They must have a saftey factor in there, right? :tongue1:
...maybe...maybe not. Heck of a bet! Expensive tank to play roulette with!

RaSooch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMO I would leave the bracing alone, you do not want to come home to 70g's of wetness on your floor. I too am upgrading from a Nano tank and I hacked up that tank without a second thought, but it is a huge difference in investment between the two tanks. You don't feel as guilty with moding a nano is all I'm saying, unless you have an unlimited bank roll...

Good luck with the new tank.

grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think the question to ask yourself on the skimmer is: If I buy the $400 skimmer now, will I still be looking at the bubble king in 6 months? If yes, do yourself a favor and just spring for the "best" from the get go. I did, and havent looked back, love my ATB cone skimmer.

I think 2x250 is a bit much for 36" tank, but it really depends on your stocking wishes. If its full blown SPS, I would consider 2x250 or the 6x39 ATI powermod. If not full SPS, I would go 4x39 or 2x150/175.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I think the question to ask yourself on the skimmer is: If I buy the $400 skimmer now, will I still be looking at the bubble king in 6 months? If yes, do yourself a favor and just spring for the "best" from the get go. I did, and havent looked back, love my ATB cone skimmer.

I think 2x250 is a bit much for 36" tank, but it really depends on your stocking wishes. If its full blown SPS, I would consider 2x250 or the 6x39 ATI powermod. If not full SPS, I would go 4x39 or 2x150/175.

Grundig, I like your thinking
smiley_thumbsup.gif
I've dreamed of the bubble king. I'm going to look up this ATB you speak too. LOL.

2X250 too much for a mixed tank? The tank IS 25" tall after all.. I'm still leaning towards the ATI 6X39W..

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Ok. I cheaped out on the skimmer. I went for an Octopus DNW-150. Should be good enough for a softie tank.

Please help on the lighting. I have a good deal available to me on an Outer Orbit Pro w/ 2X 250W MH. I'm scared this light will NUKE my zoas and shrooms!

grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It will probably be ok since the tank is 25" tall. You could use higher K bulbs that would have less PAR than a 10K to compensate and shade your shrooms and zoas. Phoenix 14K 250w DEs are my favorite DE bulb out there, and they are cheap!

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
No doubt. I used egg crate when upgrading from PC to MH:

IMG_0931.jpg

I think I will go with the 2X 250W and get the LOWEST par lights I can find (XM 15K?)...

T5's are beginning to look like the safe route...

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
nice what bulb config did you choose?

this tank is gonna be real nice.. cant wait. you can make a light stand using conduit piping.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Or have Custom King build you one out of acrylic..

Attachments

• Custom King creations 12-3-07 017.jpg
    Custom King creations 12-3-07 017.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Custom King creations 12-3-07 022.jpg
    Custom King creations 12-3-07 022.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 59

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
That's actually REALLY slick looking! I still need to send custom king my dims so he can build me a sump.

My goal is a bracket that will keep the light just over the water and can lift the light about 10" above the water to give me room for maintenance. I'm just having issues deciding on how it's going to articulate.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: