wespastor

Copepod
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK There is a first time for everything...
I am on the verge of getting a used tank.
It will come with about 3 inches of sand, Light hoos and some sea grasses and hitch hiking copepods I hope.
When this tank gets full set up with water, How shall I consider this system, As a new system not cycled or a partially cycled tank?
Advise comments please?:iamwithst

juggernaut

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well is this 3" of dry sand or is the system running now as we speak?? The reason why I ask this is because if the system is still intact as we speak then when you break it down for transportation and reassemble u will get a few spikes with your water parameters. Now if the system is dry then you will be cycling that tank out again when you add Saltwater,LR. etc......

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What size tank?

Your best bet is to throw the sand away and just started with new sand. Too much trouble involved with stirring up and old sand bed.

PS How's the weather? You guys getting down into 20s at night yet?

Steven

wespastor

Copepod
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well is this 3" of dry sand or is the system running now as we speak?? The reason why I ask this is because if the system is still intact as we speak then when you break it down for transportation and reassemble u will get a few spikes with your water parameters. Now if the system is dry then you will be cycling that tank out again when you add Saltwater,LR. etc......

It has 3 inches of wet sand in a currently operating system that will be broken down later this month and moved. There will be no liver rock only sand. There will be a small soft coral frag and a bunch of see grasses with copepods.

wespastor

Copepod
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

Your best bet is to throw the sand away and just started with new sand. Too much trouble involved with stirring up and old sand bed.

PS How's the weather? You guys getting down into 20s at night yet?

Steven

The tank size is a 55G. I am not sure right now how old the system is. I sure I can find out.

But your suggesting to get rid of the live sand that is already present. Do I understand that right? What sorts of trouble would I get into if I kept the sand?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
take like 2 or three cups of old sandbed and get the rest new.when u stir up the sand alot of ald crap gets trapped in there and you will have a high ammonia and phoshate level.i would listen to timbertdi.take the top layer of sand not the bottom

wespastor

Copepod
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have found that it is better to start fresh with any project, than to make something work that has been lying around for a while.

enjoy your cycling

I understand that the system will be runnong and is currently an active preditor tank. That means it is up and running right now. it not just laying around.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: