img-012.jpg

img-013.jpg

img-014.jpg

img-015.jpg

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Here are the pics I took when I was selling the tank and stand only on here and other boards. At this point I didn't care about the look (aquascaping) as I just dumped extra LR I purchased for the 180G tank. Notice the coraline algae growth, something that doesn't happen when water is out of whack. Oh, and please don't mind my home made frag shelf hanging on its side.

img-016.jpg

img-017.jpg

mcnuggget

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess softies r ok with tap water. leather n xenias probably like the extra nutrients in tap. but i would stick with hardy n easy corals like what xoomer have. keep the fish population low n stay away from sps.

premilove

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really nice 135(ithink) wow nyc tap water seems really good. i have seen someone else on this forum that uses nyc tap water and his tank is really productive.

i'll stick to RO water. I feel safer.

to the thread starter, what did you decided to do for filtration?

Brooklynesia

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic to see that stuff! I also followed the TAP discussion.
And I've to say, that I don't know yet.

For now I'm playing with the 5 Gallon tank and I'm using regular shop bought
distilled water, for 5 G that's no problem. Made a ridiculous stupid mistake and topped off with distilled without buffering it to 8.2 first, did that a couple of times and was wondering why pH dropped to 7.9....well...stupid...Brain turned off.
Slowly getting it back up with Seachem Marine buffer. Ca is at 380 and I hope I can slowly raise to ~450. (sg = 1.023 / Temp. 76F / 10 dKH)
Did the Seachem Cu test to see if my distilled is ok, and it showed 0.0,
but well, I think that test is crap anyway, min. conc. it shows is 0.15ppm...

I'm running an empty AC 20 and a 40gph powerhead for circulation, filtration
is none, but LR. Some macroalgae to suck up the nitrate. Twice-weekly Water change planned, but not in action yet to let it cycle.

It kind of did a dwarf cycle, meaning NH3 went from 0 only up to 1ppm, so did NO2, which is at less than 0.25ppm right now, NO3 btw. 10-20ppm.
Used a tiny piece of shrimp and some Prodibio bacs.
Was wondering if I already could put two Nassarius vibex and two Ceriths in there, but am concerned that I get a much stronger cycle then?
Perhaps I rather get some more LR first, it's only 4 lbs now.

Somebody is actually living in there already, I found a 1/4" feather duster.
Man, it must sound pretty retarded for people with large reeftanks, but I'm sitting there looking at that little guy...

Before I tackle the 40G, I'm know thinking about hijacking my 4yr-old's 10 G
and make it a "Local" Tank, just wondering what I would use for LR? Typical
tropical LR won't do I guess?
Marine Depot has a small mini chiller that goes on top of an AquaClear.

Still working on that DIY Skimmer. For the 10G I'd like to get one, still looking at that Aqua C, but $150...uuuhh, will have to build one...

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I'm another that uses Tap..... I don't have a problem with algae either. Never had an outbreak either.

I think it is more on the lines of propaganda that you need to keep pristine water conditions for coral. Sorry to say but the ocean would be a lot more contaminated with crap than what comes out of our piping.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Well, as promised I took some quick snapshots of the 180G from different perspectives. It has been up for about 4-5 months. All TAP "infused" saltwater.

Is it perfect or the most beautifull tank I have seen, NO. Is it low maintenance, YES. Can a person keep a sucesfull reef tank using only TAP water, YOU BET!.

180g-001.jpg

180g-002.jpg

180g-003.jpg

Tito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm glad someone here was able to say they use tap with no problem. And the tanks look fantanstic. I have been using tap for my tanks since I first started. Only one time did I use an RO/DI and that was it. It was TAP from then on end. I have no probs with my tap and my pH is 8.2. Also - I use two XP3 canisters. Depends on how you use your canister. It is true that a canister filter can become a nitrate factory. The way I use my canisters is for water movement and mechanical fisltration of particulate matter. Basically I run my cansiters empty. they have three trays and the only thing I have in them is a sponge with a floss pad on the top most tray. So basically my canister is empty except for one tray housing the sponge and floss pad - not much media for biological filtration there. I also use a Emperor 400 for some Wet Dry action as well as any chemical filtration that I may want to run like Carbon. I need to add Remora AquaC Pro but haven't gotten to it yet. My tank maintains clear water all the time and if there is any mess floating around - the canisters make a quick meal out of it.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Thanks for the complements guys.

There is NO ONE way to keep a sucessful reef tank. I don't believe doing one thing over other guarantees sucess. Understanding all the dynamics of the tank is worth way more than having the best RO water, the most expensive/best skimmer, well you get my drift....

There are limitations to using TAP water but it has worked for me and many, many others, knowing those limitations and designing your system around it is the key here. As to problems I've seen so far (based on what I have seen over the years in person) and their cause I could only say that MOST and I repeat MOST people overfeed their tanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: