ZBT3091

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When i go away to school next year (likely U Wisconsin Madison), I am going to want a tank for my room. Maximum size tank in a dorm is 20 gallons and the 14 aquapod will probably be easiest for me. If I buy an auto-top off unit is there anyway i can make this work? I will obviously be away on some vacations coming home that will leave the tank alone for around a month once or twice. I was hoping I would find someone to take care of it for me when I'm away. If I don't do any dosings at all besides ph buffing and just get an auto-top off are there any corals that will still thrive with no additives? i was thinking xenia, shrooms. How about acans, rics, zoas? Also to anyone with an aquapod or smaller tank, is it that much more difficult to take care of then say a 75 gallon tank? I dont want to be overwhelmed.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
only real difference in a smaller tank is less room for error, and basically any lps will do, sure at college you could find someone in marine biology to help out

ZBT3091

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
if i buy a top off unit i figure im pretty covered in terms of salinity changes stressing corals. My only thing is that i am not going to be adding any supplements. LPS can live under these conditions?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Adding supplements isn't a necessity, and a simple tank with only corals could go a month with little care if it was stable to start with.

IMO your big concern, aside from the top off and size of the vessel you would need to leave to have for a sufficient amount, would probably be heat. If there is nobody to keep an eye on that, you could end up in trouble.

ZBT3091

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
heat as in checking the temperature and making sure it is consistent? or heat like the lighting is too hot? I figured i would just set the lights on timers and keep a heater plugged in. If the heating in the building is turned off during the vacation i could always just plug in a few extra heaters which should't be too costly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: