Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Are you sure you want your sand stirred in a deep sand bed? If it's stirred too much it would kill off the anaerobic de-nitrifying bacteria. If you don't care too much then nassarius snails are always nice.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Actually, if you want to be technical, probably the best thing to do is have sand in suspension. There used to be a product call the seastorm that was for this purpose. That was a long time ago though. You may be able to find other products that serve the same purpose. This let's you run water through the greatest surface area and prevent's build up of harmful gases. This would be ideal IMO. This sand found here and the product found here is similar to the seastorm. The seastorm was similar to a phosban reactor except it kept all of the sand in suspension. I used to have one until recently. I broke it and I could not find a new one :irked:

Last edited:

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This sand found here and the product found here is similar to the seastorm. The seastorm was similar to a phosban reactor except it kept all of the sand in suspension.

You are referring to the fluidized filter. I used one when I was keeping FW fish. It is still sitting in my garage.:shhh: It is not going to help you to decrease nitrate since it has to be broken down by anaerobic bacteria. The idea of fluidized filter is to get the max surface area for the bacteria (aerobic bacteria) to colonize and hence helps to convert ammonia to its end product nitrate in an oxidized environment.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
You are referring to the fluidized filter. I used one when I was keeping FW fish. It is still sitting in my garage.:shhh: It is not going to help you to decrease nitrate since it has to be broken down by anaerobic bacteria. The idea of fluidized filter is to get the max surface area for the bacteria (aerobic bacteria) to colonize and hence helps to convert ammonia to its end product nitrate in an oxidized environment.

Yes you are right :) Only good for aerobic bacteria

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: