cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Kept a 10 gallon tank witha couple of pipe fish, crabs, snails and shrimp. I kept the tank at room temp with an open top and all inhabitants were eating, molting etc. I had to break the tank down after 2 months due to having too many tanks. Obviously this was only a short term "success." The snails are now in my 180, I fed the shrimp to my wrasse and gave away the pipefish.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
OT - Hey Dom; have you kept a tasseled filefish with triggers? I have a 180 with a porc puffer, klunzinger wrasse, emperor angel and a picasso trigger. I love the tasseleds, but am afraid it will get picked on. What do you think?

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I just moved one of mine into a tank with a Golden Heart Trigger (Balistes punctatus) since it outgrew my 120. I haven't had any problems yet but it has only been a week and the tassled filefish is the same size as the trigger. Plus, the Golden Heart I have is not very agressive since it is not the dominant fish in the tank but things can change at any given time. My TFF is about the size of a large Tang.

Generally I would go with Mike's advice though. I have had my Tassles for quite some time and haven't had an issue with them being picked on but they have usually been the largest fish in their tank.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had a 10 gal local tank for 10 years. Its in the same room as my reef tanks...it only has electric heaters, so its cold all winter..(I keep my orchids in the room too..and the TV...we turn on the heat if we have to while in the room..) Temps range from 57-60 in winter, to 80's in summer. I used to keep fish...had a puffer for a year, but it was a pain in the butt...insatiable appetite, constant water changes with sky high nitrates. Now its invert only...with a big flat claw hermit, a mud crab, loads of mud snails and amphipods, slipper limpets, and a mussel that was accidentally left out of the pot last week.

Brooklynesia

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning! Totally hooked!

I remember that a friend of my parents, a biology teacher, had a couple
of small tanks in her basement many years ago, sea stars, crabs, and macroalgae, I thought it to be the coolest thing I had ever seen. She lived right next to the waterfront and would get fresh NSW every couple of days, pretty unorthodox but it worked.

I'll hijack my 4yr-old's 10G and make it a local tank!
What do you use for filtration? Do you use LR?
Is the cycle very much extended because of colder temps?
Is skimming any different than in tropical tanks?
Do you mix with NSW?

Really great stuff! Would love to hear recommendations for places on LI to collect.

Thanks!

Brooklynesia

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 10 gal local tank for 10 years. Its in the same room as my reef tanks...it only has electric heaters, so its cold all winter..(I keep my orchids in the room too..and the TV...we turn on the heat if we have to while in the room..) Temps range from 57-60 in winter, to 80's in summer. I used to keep fish...had a puffer for a year, but it was a pain in the butt...insatiable appetite, constant water changes with sky high nitrates. Now its invert only...with a big flat claw hermit, a mud crab, loads of mud snails and amphipods, slipper limpets, and a mussel that was accidentally left out of the pot last week.

e.

that's exactly what I've in mind, low (lowest) bioload 10G local, I wish I'd have as much control over the heat in my apt., it's either ON =85F or OFF=outside temp+x, and I don't even have control over on or off, welcome to Brooklyn Rentals...
How's the mussel doing?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The mussel is still alive....for many of these inverts, temperature isn't a problem....they spend a lot of time in the intertidal zone, where temps get really high. When temps drop into the 50's they go dormant. I have not had long term success with hermits....they last a few months, a year at the most. Mud crab and spider crabs can last many years....but a spider crab will outgrow the tank, and make live miserable for the other inhabitants. My filtration is a cheap taam rio skimmer/filter..their version of a skilter. Crap, but for a tank like that its fine. I frequently get cyano, the bluish kind, but my flat claw has stirred things up so much that I have none now....they eat cyano also.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I haven't done much cool weather collecting but I have been able to find asian shore crabs and mussels in frigid weather but it depends where you go. The only place I've gone collecting in the cold was shinnecock inlet. I went to gather crabs and I was surprised to find them (this was deep into winter). I have also collected mysis and grass shrimp in late winter or late fall so you still may be able to get your hands on somethings right now.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My 10 gallon tank has been running for about 40 years with a short gap while I was in the Army. Domboski's is much better looking. I just keep it to put interesting stuff I collect like snails, crabs, shrimp small fish and an occasional eel. I use the water I am going to throw out from my reef. There are some local rocks and barnacles in there.
No lights or heaters. There is a tiny powerhead for circulation and thats about it. Occasionally I put a canister filter on it after I run it on my reef with carbon

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: