Reef Greek

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reading this thread and all i can say is you've been very lucky. Lived in Queens(NYC tap water) for almost 30 years NEVER had 0 nitrates coming out of the tap. Also If you're putting in 1ppm every time you do a water change and have 0 in the tank something is absorbing it (see a few of the posts above). As long as you use low grade and/or expired kits you will get 0 readings until you add more fish or corals and the watch out. Its great you have success with the tank so far and I wish you always do but to promote tap water as a safe medium for reef tanks is irresponsible.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Sounds about right! Now that the rocks have absorbed as much as they can you will start to see some of the issues we speak of. I ran my original tanks without ro/di, and like you initially all looked good. But after to 2 years the tank starts to go down hill. I would suggest you get on top of it.:)
Wish I'd known then what I know now.;)

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Cyano?

Two words, Special Blend

I would also consider getting rid of tap water.... I remember when I first started a good man warned me about using tap water, but I didnt listen and I got stuck batteling cyano a year later.

Last edited:

Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if anyone has brought this up before on this thread, but NYC adds phosphoric acid (orthophosphate) to help control corrosion in copper piping. This is pretty common among water providers it is also used to prevent iron from oxidizing and staining the toilet.

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Porbably phosphates build up too, will buy a new phosphate test kit to check it out. Any brand that you recommend?

Yes what I have is mainly cyano, what is this spacial blend??

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Will buy phospahte kit or phospahte meter, a new bag of sand, and start doing like 50% water changes, maybe like twice a week to see how that goes. Sorry guys I hate to start an RO system in my small apartment, that will be my last choice. I already have a cheap RO system from the tank I had in Puerto Rico, but I just hated it, it was such a waste of water and a big mess. Ill post some pics of my sad looking tank soon (my camera is dead).

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
If you do have a phosphate problem large water changes is bad you would have to slowly bring the phosphate levels down so you dont shock your corals only do 25% water changes and buy a phos reactor and use gfo to keep phosphate low you will need to use a ro/di unit or your never going to fix your problem. I was using tap water in my tank at first and all most lost eveything test kit said 0ppm phosphate but it was wrong i had 2.66ppm phosphate in my tank .after that used ro/di water and gfo and a few mouths later now at 0.00ppm and corals are great and full of color.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
It is difficult to syphon a sand bed with out removing the sand via the syphon.:(
Your complaint about running the RO/DI in an apt. is sort of understandable. But think of it this way: at least you don't pay for water.lol Get a small unit that hooks up to the faucet, make your water, and put it away.;)
I would just start using ro/di water, gfo in a reactor, and perhaps the "Special Blend".
Your phosphates are not 0, and trust me if your kit says .25 it is probably more likely that it is actually 2.5.

Batt, I think you need to run your checkers' test again.;) I initially got the same reading of 0.00, but after playing with the checkers a little more got 1.27, now down to .48 after running new gfo/carbon through a reactor & weekly 20% water changes, and second week of the "Special Blend".:)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You asked what is "Special Blend", below is a quick look at what it is suppose to do. I just recently started to use it so I can't say wether or not I recommend it.;)

">Contains both Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter bacteria

Other benefits include: Organic waste degrader, naturally stimulates plant growth, lowers ammonia levels and biologically reduces nitrates, removes odors and clears cloudy water, enhances ability of plants to utilize light, water and nutrietnts, breaks down residue on gravel, plants, rocks, etc.
Great for both fresh and saltwater fish."
http://www.aquariumproductreviews.com/Bacteria-Starters/Microbe-Lift-Special-Blend-p-63.html

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
You asked what is "Special Blend", below is a quick look at what it is suppose to do. I just recently started to use it so I can't say wether or not I recommend it.;)

Other benefits include: Organic waste degrader, naturally stimulates plant growth, lowers ammonia levels and biologically reduces nitrates, removes odors and clears cloudy water, enhances ability of plants to utilize light, water and nutrietnts, breaks down residue on gravel, plants, rocks, etc.
Nitrosomonas and nitrobacter... arent those the same strains found in FW Bio Spira? Those are the strains that turn ammo --> nitrite -->nitrate.

Never knew how special blend worked exactly other than it was a concotion of bacteria. Is it that they out-compete microalgae for nutrients??

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
quot-top-left.gif
Quote:
quot-top-right.gif
quot-by-left.gif
Originally Posted by Awibrandy
quot-by-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif

quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif

Harif, sorry I don't have an answer for your question. What I mean is that I understand it the same as you, and cannot elaborate further.lol
As you can see by my previous post I quoted from the net.;) Not my words buddy...:)
I only recently started using the product, and will hold off on recommendations until I see wether, or not it works.;)

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
It is difficult to syphon a sand bed with out removing the sand via the syphon.:(
Your complaint about running the RO/DI in an apt. is sort of understandable. But think of it this way: at least you don't pay for water.lol Get a small unit that hooks up to the faucet, make your water, and put it away.;)
I would just start using ro/di water, gfo in a reactor, and perhaps the "Special Blend".
Your phosphates are not 0, and trust me if your kit says .25 it is probably more likely that it is actually 2.5.

Batt, I think you need to run your checkers' test again.;) I initially got the same reading of 0.00, but after playing with the checkers a little more got 1.27, now down to .48 after running new gfo/carbon through a reactor & weekly 20% water changes, and second week of the "Special Blend".:)

Did that check it 3 time all come to 0.00ppm

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Think of it this way, it took several months to get PO4 saturated in your rock and sand, it's going to take several months for them to slowly leach it back out. Be patient, keep up with water changes. My tank never looked better than when I was changing about 8% a day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: