Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
A few weeks ago I was lazy to make RODI water when doing a water change after coming back from vacation and now Im starting to notice some issues.

Well the reason why I was lazy to make RODI water is more or less b/c it takes about 3 hours to make a 5gallon bucket - I have a 125gpd unit - but Im not sure why it just drips when making water - people says its normal but each time Im making it, i feel like its wasting a crap load of water since the faucet is on full blast and the drain line from the RODI unit just drains water with high speed and the water coming out of the RODI slowly drips - it takes about 30-45 minutes of water to make about an inch in a 5G bucket.

:irked:

So one time I mixed some tap after i conditioned it and mixed it to do a WC. at the time no problems, corals everything fine. Now Im noticing green hair algae spreading like wild fire all over my frag rack. I think it started in my overflow box the U tube is brown and yellow - the acrylic between the box and the tank glass is covered with hair algae. I can't get my hand in there to clean it unless i remove it.

Any way I can save my tank or make RODI faster? So far no algae on the rocks or corals yet

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
You might need a booster for the ro unit. It will boost up the presure going into the unit. Do you know the presure coming into the unit now?

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The pressure measured by the pressure gauge reads at 45 PSI -50 PSI or 4 Kg/CM

ok yeah low pressure. RO is all based on pressure, I keep my pressure at ~70psi

125GPD/ 24 Hours = 5.208333.... Gallons per hour. This is how many gallons you should be making an hour from your unit.

Last edited:

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
how old is the unit/filters? they could be clogged.

The unit is fairly new - 1 Month in use - second time trying to use this. I've been using DI water from the market - which added up so I decided to buy a unit and its slower than I thought.

Where can I get a booster pump since my PSI is only at 40PSI max?

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
ok yeah low pressure. RO is all based on pressure, I keep my pressure at ~70psi

125GPD/ 24 Hours = 5.208333.... Gallons per hour. This is how many gallons you should be making an hour from your unit.

If I make only 5g an hour - how much water is wasted? is this normal, b/c i was thinking if i leave my faucet on for an hour I could probably fill up an entire 50gallon fish tank with tap?

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If I make only 5g an hour - how much water is wasted? is this normal, b/c i was thinking if i leave my faucet on for an hour I could probably fill up an entire 50gallon fish tank with tap?

I think, I may be wrong but, It's 3 to 4 times the waste water per gallon of RO/DI. So if you made 5 gallons of RO/DI it'll be between 15 to 20 gallons of waste water.
Don't forget when you add pressure to your tap the flow slows down considerabley.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Hmm, True. since there should be faster output now. I guess I'll look to buy a booster pump. what are reasons why my psi is so low? is it something with my faucet or just the water in my apartment doesnt flow?

michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have a booster I'll sell you. I bought it from a MReefer before :) But now I'm in a new building with good pressure...

(only problem i have now is when I turn on the tap each day, a liter of brown water comes out. probably clogging up my filters with all that sediment)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: