Freespool

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
is it possible to set up a fish only tank with no live rock?
what kind of filter would you use? Sump? wet dry?
can you put a sand bed? live sand?
should you use a proteen skimmer?

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ornaments you put in would become live eventually anyway, What do you want to use as decoration?"Fake"Rock?Fake coral?Pirate Ship?

Always have a good skimmer

wet/dry would probably be fine for fish only, I wouldn't want the nitrates anyway but the fish can take em, its just that nitrates help algae.

Fish only tanks are usually quite large because a smaller tank can only have a few fish and the owners quickly get bored of it.

JJSBLM

Crazy Pico guy
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
get live sand... (dont skimp out, get the good stuff)
ornament of your choice
tank of choice. (make it atleast a 55... anything less & you will be disapointed in how many fish you can keep)

fluval 305/405 (remove biological stuff & pack with rubble rock)
buy a very good HOB skimmer

viola!!

you have a Fish Only system, that will work for a very long time (3+ years for me)
I know cause this is how my 1st fish tank was (well kinda is still) set-up!

Freespool

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
thanks

Thanks for all of your input.

ANTZ: im just west of the clearview on 42nd i just moved there last month.

I have a 90 gal reef tank, but im going to set up a 180gal fish only. Im tying to work within a buget and buying 200lbs of live rock is going to put me over.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
You do not have to start with 200 pounds. You can usually get some good deals here. Start with whatever you can afford get and build it up over time. It really helps keep things stable because of the bacteria it can hold. And fish do like to pick on it. And you do need some places for fish to hide and feel safe.

JJSBLM

Crazy Pico guy
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Thanks for all of your input.

ANTZ: im just west of the clearview on 42nd i just moved there last month.

I have a 90 gal reef tank, but im going to set up a 180gal fish only. Im tying to work within a buget and buying 200lbs of live rock is going to put me over.

if you want a reef. try 140-150 lbs of base rock (wouldnt cost more than $150)... & then add 40-50 lbs of live rock....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: