sklz325

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi guys,

Below is a picture of my 45G tank while it was cycling (sorry about the poor picture quality). The tank is 36 x 12 x 24". I recently picked up two green chromis from WWOF, and they seem to only stay on the right hand side of the tank. Could this have anything to do with the flow in my tank? Also, I find it difficult to feed on the left side of the tank due to the skimmer box on my Remora. Any comments on how I can optimize my setup would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

PS - Since taking this picture, I put a piece of black foam board behind the tank to hide the wires.

tank.jpg

showimage.php

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I assume you are having problems feeding on the left side of the tank because the skimmer overflow is sucking the food in before the fish can eat it. If this is the case you can simply shut off the skimmer during feedings. You could also shut off your pumps to help target feed the fish. This will keep their food from being blown all over the tank.

What type of food are you using?

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Hello, Steve

I personally would not turn of the skimmer everytime "dinner" comes around. It seems you are concerned that they are staying away from one side of the tank and that could be due to them being new to their now "home". How long do you have them? Dont feed to much reduce the feeding until the fish eat all the food and then drop some more but not too much.

sklz325

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I assume you are having problems feeding on the left side of the tank because the skimmer overflow is sucking the food in before the fish can eat it. If this is the case you can simply shut off the skimmer during feedings. You could also shut off your pumps to help target feed the fish. This will keep their food from being blown all over the tank.

What type of food are you using?

Right, the food gets sucked into the overflow anytime I put it on the left side of the tank. Will this cause any problems with my nitrate levels?

I'm using Ocean Nutrition Formula One Flake.

sklz325

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello, Steve

I personally would not turn of the skimmer everytime "dinner" comes around. It seems you are concerned that they are staying away from one side of the tank and that could be due to them being new to their now "home". How long do you have them? Dont feed to much reduce the feeding until the fish eat all the food and then drop some more but not too much.

I picked up the fish on Saturday (11/29). I've been feeding them once a day around 8pm when I get home from work. This morning I actually couldn't find one of them :( Yesterday he was hiding underneath the rock in the bottom right corner all day. I think he may have died. He wasn't really eating anytime I put food in the tank...

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Right, the food gets sucked into the overflow anytime I put it on the left side of the tank. Will this cause any problems with my nitrate levels?

I'm using Ocean Nutrition Formula One Flake.

It should not cause an nitrate spike because the food is being removed from your system and into the skimmer. It is most likely just wasting the food. I dont know if getting the food sucked into the skimmer will affect its performance, I never use a HOB skimmer myself.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
My remora collect a lot of ditritus in it. Pull the collection cup and look down in the right chamber. I always have gray fuzzies there. If you food is getting sucked up, that may be where it's hiding..

I turn off my pumps when I feed. It really helps when target feeding and minimizing waste.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It's nice to target feed your fish though. You can target them in a single spot every time, and eventually whenever your fish see's you they'll automatically swim to that spot.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: