viscult

Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My mom is considering accepting a used T5 Current Nova from a friend, but is wondering whether she can use it over her 29G which is 30" wide; she was planning to buy a used Current Outer Orbit CF that is 30", and is wondering what to do. We keep reading that T5 is better, but are unsure about the size issue. She has a glass cover on the tank.

She has LR, zoas, mushrooms and a CUC in her tank and while her percula died in July, she plans on restocking in the new year. Tank has been going for 3.5 years (but just a year in her house, someone freeccycled this set-up tank to her) on regular old fluorescents, so this is a great move--some of you met her at the swap this spring, she's been breeding cichlids and at 72 turned her eye to saltwater (but still has 7 brackish tanks).

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help!

viscult

Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the responses--in part, we're wondering if it worth the effort to go with the T5 (hanging would be more work than Ma could do--and which I couldn't get to for a while) because the light is that much better, and whether the 6" short matters.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I run a 30" fixture over a 30" Long tank but the T5 bulbs are only made to be 24" long. I keep mostly softies/zoas in the less lit up areas and they are doing exceptionally well.

It really depends on what you plan to keep but it'll work.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Most 30" fixtures use 24" bulbs (t5ho or CF) and have the bulbs staggered so every other bulb begins at the opposite side. A 24" fixture will only leave a 3" dim section on either side of the tank so unless you're planning on having wall to wall corals it should be fine.

Slamajamajama

Because Thats How I Roll.
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
Most 30" fixtures use 24" bulbs (t5ho or CF) and have the bulbs staggered so every other bulb begins at the opposite side. A 24" fixture will only leave a 3" dim section on either side of the tank so unless you're planning on having wall to wall corals it should be fine.
agreed....if u can build a wooden box almost any config can be accomplished

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: