aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I have a 54 Gallon Corner Reef Tank with a 10 gallon sump and am wondering if I buy the Large Denitrator rated for 60g-120g... would it be too much?

I want to buy this mainly because I have been struggling with nitrate levels for some odd reason. I just did a roughly 25% (Every 3 weeks) water change and my nitrates are reading 20ppm. Tank doesn't seem to have any visible issues (knock on wood). Also am running a EuroReef ES5-2 Skimmer. Refugium with Chaeto, Bob's Sea Grass, and Calupera

Stocked with the following fish:
1 African Midas Blenny
2 False Perc Clowns
5 Green Chromis
1 Medium Size Yellow Tang
1 Engineer Goby
1 Firefish
1 Pearly Jawfish
1 XL Royal Gramma

Corals. Mostly Frags and softies

Toadstool leather, Pulsing Xenia, Anathelia, Kenya Trees, 8 types of Zooanthids, Favia, Green Star Polyps, Brown Button Polyps... not much more after that

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Did you try doing weekly water changes of that amount to get your nitrates in control. I bet after three water changes in three weeks from n ow instead of 1 you will get a grip on your nitrates. How are your feeding habbits ? First get your nitrates under control....and by that I mean a realistic amount...<10 then start thinking about the denitrator.
To answer the question is the large denitrator to large....I say no...becouse you can always dial it back to suit your needs and secondly most companies "buff" there claims....read between the lines....:splitspin

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Awesome didn't realize you can dial them back. Well I won't be able to do a water change for the next 2 weeks (won't be here).

I feed my tank once a day, but in retrospect I might be overfeeding. Any other input on denitrators?

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have an aquaripure on my tank and it is a rated for 180 to 2something and i have a 180. all you have to do is let the output drain a little quicker and your in business. If you do get it and you start smelling a sulfur smell coming out of it that means you have to let some more flow out. I had a rediculous nitrate problem, (40 ppm) but with this thing my nitrates are 0. I LOVE IT !
In the tank i have 4. 4-6" tangs 3 anthias 1 tomato 1 precula 1 saddleback 1 wrasse 1 pigmy angle 1 watchmen 1 belenie and a cardinal. All this along with a butt load of softies and lps with a few sps. Also i might note that my skimmer production has cut way way back. You have to be diligent about adjusting your output flow at least once a day (When the bacteria reproduce inside this cube there will b so much bacteria that it actualy slows the flow of water down. I adjust the output twice a day) and feeding vodka every 3 to 4. Your situation might be different. None the less these things rock and are a natural method of solving a nitrate problem.
Good luck in your nitrate war.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: