fisheye

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hi,

I built a calcium reactor, and it is running very nicely for a few months. I read somewhere that I have to replace the media, but forgot how often. I am using ARM now.

The question is how often should the media be replaced. What is the benefit of replacing it? Can I just add more media when it goes down?
Thanks,
Peter

michael Jack

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
your media will disolve from the co2 back to liguid calcium it will depend on the load in the tank and how much you put out but dont just add it as it goes low break down the reactor and clean it good

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
add when it runs out. i hear people usually fill it when below 1/4 left. i guess it depends how lazy u r. lol
i dont think a full media reactor will be any more effecient than a 1/2 full. as long as the reactor is set right, it shouldnt make a diff.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
add when it runs out. i hear people usually fill it when below 1/4 left. i guess it depends how lazy u r. lol
i dont think a full media reactor will be any more effecient than a 1/2 full. as long as the reactor is set right, it shouldnt make a diff.

I would assume that the output of calcium and alkalinity would be reduced if it were 1/2 full or 1/4th filled compared to it being completely filled.

My reasoning is as follows I hope somebody else can chime in if I am incorrect:
The amount of Co2 is dispersed throughout in the reactor, thus efficiently melting the media. The lower the media in the chamber the less there is to be dissolved and thus reducing the output of Ca and Alk.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I would assume that the output of calcium and alkalinity would be reduced if it were 1/2 full or 1/4th filled compared to it being completely filled.

My reasoning is as follows I hope somebody else can chime in if I am incorrect:
The amount of Co2 is dispersed throughout in the reactor, thus efficiently melting the media. The lower the media in the chamber the less there is to be dissolved and thus reducing the output of Ca and Alk.

That just depends if the reactor can get to its saturation point. Every PH has a saturation point of alk/ca, and if there's not enough media, then the saturation point doesn't get met, therefore agreeing with you. If the reactor is much bigger then needed, then the saturation point will probably be met even at half way or further depending on how oversized it is.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: