Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I once owned a harlequin shrimp but died from starvation after eating one whole CC starfish when I got back from vacation. I plan on getting another one to give it a shot, but not sure how many reefers keep them.

I dont have a good supply of Asterinas in my tank so I'll have to start with one CC starfish and try to grow some sort of starfish for the shrimp to feed on, in a separate tank. What kind of stars can I buy to propagate, since chocolate chip stars are hard to cut and can get expensive every month?

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have a harley and I get a choco once a month. I am trying to do the "one leg at a time" again because last time i felt bad and just tossed him in and let my harley have his way.
Its simple, you be fine this time

boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I toss one choco star every two weeks for my harley, she seems to be fine with that.

002-3.jpg

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
LOL Coop I was just breakin your chops. I used to throw them in full and not worry about it but I didn't have anything sharp enough to cut them.

haha i know, just feel bad for the poor stars. I have scalpel but it takes some pushing to cut!
I think i just toss this guy in, still debating.

My harley is a pig though, love him. he sees that star and ATTACK

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I just added a pair of harlies 2 days ago and have only seen them once. I put in a choc star and they havent gone after it at all. I have seen my astrea stars heading toward the glass, but no sign of the shrimp. I put my cc star in a floating breeder cup, in fear he will reak havok in my tank. I hope that they will come out soon so I can feed them this cc star before it dies.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hey guys/gals my tank is being over taken by Asterina Star Fish.yikes
I finally got my LN Hawk out of my reef and plan on purchasing a Harlequin Shrimp, but I am concerned that once it has eaten all of the asterinas I will be forced to feed it chocolate star fish.
I understand that others do this and NO I will not feel bad about feeding the CC to the Harley.:tongue1: What I am concerned with is the CC going after my corals before the Harley gets it. Am I being concerned with something that will Never happen?

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Hey guys/gals my tank is being over taken by Asterina Star Fish.yikes
I finally got my LN Hawk out of my reef and plan on purchasing a Harlequin Shrimp, but I am concerned that once it has eaten all of the asterinas I will be forced to feed it chocolate star fish.
I understand that others do this and NO I will not feel bad about feeding the CC to the Harley.:tongue1: What I am concerned with is the CC going after my corals before the Harley gets it. Am I being concerned with something that will Never happen?

Awi... cut a leg of the cc throw it back in the sump:sgrin: my only concern is not many LFS have them in stock when u need them. well as least in my area.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: