chefstylez

Anthia Freak!
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have the r/o unit hooked up to the faucet and the third chamber isn't filling up all the way (about 30% of the way) and its coming out at 40psi. The water comes out but its dripping out and not streaming. There are no leaks in any of the connections or the faucet.

What can be the problem?

Last edited:

chefstylez

Anthia Freak!
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is the filter I have http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...osis-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

The chamber with the psi meter before the 4th chamber isnt letting out the water as fast. The first and second chamber come out strong but once it hits the third chamber its like a snail.

Im picking up a 90g tank on thurs with livestock and I need to start making water! At this rate it wont be done until next monday! Please help!

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yeah an Reverse Osmosis membrane should slow down the psi of the good water coming out. Do you know the psi of the water coming into the RO Membrane? It should be at like 70 psi.

chefstylez

Anthia Freak!
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah an Reverse Osmosis membrane should slow down the psi of the good water coming out. Do you know the psi of the water coming into the RO Membrane? It should be at like 70 psi.

The psi meter is on the waste water line so I dont know if its gauging the output or intake! The rate is drastically slower.

I tested it by connecting the 2nd chamber straight to the DI cartridge and it was flowing like the Mississippi!

I read that the waste to the output ratio is 4-1 but it definitly seems like 10-1 to me but thats all subjective to me!

thanks for the reply!

chefstylez

Anthia Freak!
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
ok you need to switch the psi guage to the intake of the RO membrane. and measure it there. gauging the psi of the waste water is pretty much useless.

LOL i figured the same thing but it was like that when I picked it up and thats the manufacturers settings. I know its connected to the end of the membrane then the meter then the waste water line so I figured it would be measuring the waste! Its at 50psi but I dont understand y they would put it there if it wasn't the optimal spot for it!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
You need to know the water pressure before ANY of the cartridges. Basically the water pressure at the source is what you need to know. Ideally the pressure you'd like is approx. 80 psi @ 77 F. If it is around 40-50 then you'd need a booster pump.

As stated above, the pressure within the system is different at various points. After the RO membrane the water pressure is DRAMATICALLY reduced because you're splitting the output to waste water (4g) and usable water (1g).

If you can move the pressure gauge, move it to the source water to determine the pressure to the whole system.

Again, as stated above, you might just have to replace a couple of filters (sediment, carbon and maybe DI resin).

Russ

muntai

CEO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i'm reading your question correctly, your DI canister is clogging up the output since it isnt able to fill up the canister. there is air pocket inside the canister.
this mean when the water(tube from back of 2nd [cabon] canister), and goes to the front of the 3rd canister(DI resin); the pressured water going into this canister cannot push out the air trapped inside.
this has 2 causes:
1.) the pressure is too low
2.) the filter is clogged
the waste/use water should be 4-1 but winter it is more 5 or 6 to 1.
psi readings are taken striaght from the source. you should get at least 50-60 psi.
testing a used ro/di for 15 minutes only proves all the connections are working.
have you check the water with a tds meter? make sure the produce water is 0 ppm.

chefstylez

Anthia Freak!
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the replys!

The backup was at the R/O membrane. I've been running it for 6 hrs and have a little under 10 gallons.

At first the DI cartridge was full then slowly it decreased but not as bad as it was when I first tested it. Right now the PSI on the system reads 50 but the original owner said that This was his normal reading as well.

I can't change the position of the pressure gauge becuase its threded to a port and don't want to mess w/ factory settings.

I will tighten and test the PSI again. Also coming in the on board tds meter reads 28 and 1 going out.

Thanks again for the help!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: