aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my skimmer. I currently have a EuroReef ES5-2 w Sedra 3500 Pump in my 54 gallon. I am not even 100% sure if I SHOULD upgrade. But if I were... what should I get?

I was looking at the

ASM G-1X
Reef Octopus Extreme 160
Reef Octopus NW150
Bullet 1 Protein Skimmer by Precision Marine

What do you guys think?

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ive had them all except the Bullet 1, out of the others definitly the OCT EXTREME. Once you mesh mod it, it pulls a ton of air, trust me

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Damn those Cone Skimmers are so expensive.... I am not made of money lol

Cone skimmer may not fit in the section of your sump for the skimmer, make sure before hand in regards to the measurements.

As for the octopus extreme I bought came with needle wheel but mesh and ties for the mod

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I like the red sea triple pass works great for me and I have a superskimmer my Red sea kicks butt..skim blows the top cover off I have to tape it down lol

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
honestly for that size systm stick with the euroreef and if you dont have the gate valve buy it makes a huge difference, i run a euroreef rs 80 on a heavy stocked 60g sps tank, and hav 2 other skimmer's, spend the left over money on something nice for your tank. the bermuda bc3 is a kick azz skimmer also

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
honestly for that size systm stick with the euroreef and if you dont have the gate valve buy it makes a huge difference, i run a euroreef rs 80 on a heavy stocked 60g sps tank, and hav 2 other skimmer's, spend the left over money on something nice for your tank. the bermuda bc3 is a kick azz skimmer also

If you are talking about affordability, then Euroreef is NOT the right choice.

-Think about what you are getting...
-Thin walled Acrylic and a Sedra Pump....
-High Price Tag

Affordable Orca - Click Here

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0

-High Price Tag
you think the msx or octopus is built better ?
how do you figure thin acrylic and a high price tag ? check the price of a new rs 80 compared to any you listed. he already has a er that is more then enough for his tank so why does he need a skimmer unless he just wants to change,

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

-High Price Tag
you think the msx or octopus is built better ?
how do you figure thin acrylic and a high price tag ? check the price of a new rs 80 compared to any you listed. he already has a er that is more then enough for his tank so why does he need a skimmer unless he just wants to change,

I am a Dealer for ALL of the brands Mentioned in this thread. I have installed EVERY BRAND listed in this thread.

I never said he needed a new simmer I was just making suggestions of good skimmers with good price tags.

If you have read my posts, you would see that I did NOT recommend a Octopus or MSX. I recommended an ATB and an ORCA Systems skimmer, both that are not only known within the hobby to be of the best built skimmers using the best materials, but give you biggest bang for the buck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: