Rating - 100%
38   0   0
http://www.saltwater-aquarium-guide.com/Fast-Facts-page25.htm

Anyone have experience or advice on this?
I'm thinking of getting a kalk reactor magnetically operated,
i have a sump that i built with its own make up water compartment holds about 8 gallons,, i have it timed to refill any lost water in my tank every night, i was thinking of running this chamber of rodi water to the reactor and into my sump or main tank, but from reading this article its says if you add vinegar to your kalk you get more outta of it, if anyone has experience or advice how can i add vinegar to my make up water and run it to the reactor?.

should i just add vinegar to the 8 gallons and when the pump turns on it'll flow through the reactor that does sound right?

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You should mix the kalk and vinegar and let the reaction fizzle down and then add the slurry to the water.

15ml vinegar 1 tsp kalk in a quart of water and mix,

.48 liter vinegar, 3/4 cup kalk, 8 gallon water.

You should mix the vinegar and kalk in the 15ml to 1 tsp ratio; 32 times. It does generate a lot of heat when mixing even in that small of ratio.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
but the 8 gallon chamber is exposed to air isnt that bad?
so .48 liter vinegar to 8 gallons of water mixed...and leave the 3/4 cups kalk in the reactor would that work?

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
so like what you said .48 liter vinegar to 8 gallons of water mixed...and leave the 3/4 cups kalk in the reactor would that work?

NO!

Reason for the vinegar is to lower the PH of the Kalk mixture therefor "boost" or increase the amount of kalk the mixture can saturate before reaching the PH saturation point.

Putting vinegar in your supply water before it is mixed with kalk in a reactor will not have the same effect. PH of the top off water will balance out with ambient air overtime, adding only carbon and whatever else used to produce the vinegar. Unless you use all 8 gallon of the top off before the PH is raised to the air PH, which can be pretty quick.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
so like what you said .48 liter vinegar to 8 gallons of water mixed...and leave the 3/4 cups kalk in the reactor would that work?

For the record, that's not what I said. What I said was:
You should mix the kalk and vinegar and let the reaction fizzle down and then add the slurry to the water.

15ml vinegar 1 tsp kalk in a quart of water and mix,

.48 liter vinegar, 3/4 cup kalk, 8 gallon water.

You should mix the vinegar and kalk in the 15ml to 1 tsp ratio; 32 times. It does generate a lot of heat when mixing even in that small of ratio.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Interesting article and topic. I have just began using Kalk and without a doser have been slowly topping off my 125 tank, with a 5 gallon bucket in roughly 4 spaced sessions over 2 days. So far the ph seems stable and Coraline algae has started growing at pretty fast pace.

However, the concept of adding the Viniger is interesting and would be nice if it would allow me to add a larger top off amount with out worrying about ph spike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: