aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello Guys,

I been searching for Recirculating skimmers for the past 2 weeks and haven't come past one that will handle AT LEAST 125 Gallons that is shorter than 24".

Does anybody know if there are shorter ones out there?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Hello Guys,

I been searching for Recirculating skimmers for the past 2 weeks and haven't come past one that will handle AT LEAST 125 Gallons that is shorter than 24".

Does anybody know if there are shorter ones out there?
You can MOD an ASM 3 I recently added a sedra 5000 and set it up to recirculate my G4 Plus
couple of 1" uniseals a 1.5" inch hole saw and about 15mins of your time

my G4+ is fed with a sedra 9000 with needle wheel and the 5000sedra recir with needle wheel massive amount of bubbles! lots of bang for the buck!

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hmmm Thanks for that link. Anything shorter? lol

Was looking at

TurboFlotor 5000
Octopus DNW110
Terminator II with Sumpless Kit

Maybe something shorter... hmm . Most skimmers seem to be made in that 23-24 " range

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Teddy, those skimmer suck man (not sure about the terminator, never heard of it). Listen to our advice and get the drilled + sump, and then you can put any type of skimmer in the sump.

What was your issue with having a sump? Evaporation? You will have evaporation regardless if you have a sump or not. That's just a fact. Use the ATO I gave you for free, or invest in an ATO, you'll need it.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Not just evap, that was ONE of the factors. But the tank I am getting isn't drilled... (getting a good deal on the bad boy)

I'll use the ATO, but I am not going to do sump.

New issues keep coming up with the tank because the measurements are SO WEIRD.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
You can MOD an ASM 3 I recently added a sedra 5000 and set it up to recirculate my G4 Plus
couple of 1" uniseals a 1.5" inch hole saw and about 15mins of your time

my G4+ is fed with a sedra 9000 with needle wheel and the 5000sedra recir with needle wheel massive amount of bubbles! lots of bang for the buck!

Still my favorite line of skimmers :biggrin:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Yea. Custom King just sent me a PM. He said he did a ASM G2 with a Recirc mod. This is interesting because this skimmer is about 23 inches at height.

I gotta take measurements of this new stand to see what works/doesn't work.

Are Recirc mods hard???

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Dom I saw your thread with a recirc mod. How is that skimmer doing? or did you get rid of it already???

All of my tanks are running with ASM skimmers. My local tank has a 100% gravity fed ASM G3 with the recirc mod. It works great. I set up an ASM G3 with the same specs for ellebelle and she seems happy with it.

I like the 100% gravity feed because I can then add a filter sock to the skimmer return. Now 100% of my water is skimmed and run through the filter sock.

Frank is right though, they need to be in a sump. Why not buy an external over flow box? They are easy to use.

I've also cut the body of an ASM G4X down 2" so I can fit it within my stand without ill effects.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
It doesn't have to go under the stand. :) You could easily build a little table or something next to the tank to house the skimmer. You are already limiting your choice of skimmers - why limit it even further?

PS: and yes, I am happy with the ASM skimmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: