jsvokowest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok just bought a used tenecor 90 gallon setup, 75 lbs cured live rock and cleaned the entire thing out and have had it running with a skimmer for a week now. today just added some dead coral i had cleaned into the tank and dipped into the whole aquascaping thing. did i just begin the whole cycling process again? trying to be as patient i can but the boyhood dream is turning into reality. the ammonia levels are still dropping as the NO3 and NO2 are also. i check them daily about the same time. added some additive bacteria i was told to add under the guidance of WWof fish. reading up every night on the material i was advised to get on this forum and thanks to all for their help to a newbie.should i leave the light on when cycling. and are there any suggestions for the aquascaping. i tried to leave room all around the rock base to allow circulation. i have three 802 poweheads in this and am hoping i am moving the water well enough. during my nightly staring at the rock waiting for growth spurts in anticipationi can see the "hairs on the rock moving as well as watching the therm float around. millions of questions just racing from the excitement.

Attachments

• P3220572.jpg
    P3220572.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 423
  • P3220573.jpg
    P3220573.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 427
  • P3240612.jpg
    P3240612.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 424
  • P4010643.jpg
    P4010643.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 422
  • P4010646.jpg
    P4010646.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 420
  • P4010656.jpg
    P4010656.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 418

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Are you looking to set up a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) tank? Or are you preparing to set up a reef? I ask because those of us that set up reef tanks prefer not to 'display' dead coral skeletons. It makes our tanks look like we're failing at keeping those corals alive (our goal).

In order to advise you properly, we need to know your intent.

swimmer

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The lights should be off during cycling.
You can add a tiny, tiny amount of flake food every few days to keep the growing bacteria fed (it does need to eat).
Plan on staring at the tank the way it is for another 3 or 4 weeks. If you don't have the patience now for a SW tank, you won't have it down the line either ;)
I agree with Russ about the dead corals..maybe in a FO tank, but definitely not a reef tank.
You want to leave about 2 or 3 inches around the perimeter of the rocks for ease of cleaning the glass..enough to get your Mag-float through and your hand as well.

Welcome to MR! :)

jsvokowest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i am just looking to start with a fowler tank. which is why i added the dead corals. i think the reef system is is not for me just yet but i did leave some shelf areas on live rock to set some hardy stuff on them one day not soft corals as i don;t have the light for that. maybe a better word than patience is anticipation. like a kid in a candy store. is the tank going to recycle now that i added the dead pieces or am i just picking up where i left off in the cycle? kinda see more tanks around the house in the future (and possibly a divorce as the result.)which would definitely look into a reef but i want to be more confident in the husbandryof thefowler tank before putting any of the delicate corals in harms way. i would feel extremely guilty of putting them in danger of dying due to inexperience and lord knows we dont have enough of them in the world as it is. this is also why i don;t want to put a fish in there to speed up any cycle process. i read about it but seems cruel. thanks for the help.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Looks like a great start. Our first tank was also a Tenecor and was also fish only. Considering you have a while to wait start getting an idea on what types of fish you would like to keep and their requirements/compatibility with one another etc. This is truly one of the most rewarding hobbies IMO... and very addicting.

Welcome to the glass/acrylic box world and best of luck on the new venture :)

jsvokowest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thanks, i was trying to create as much dimension and hiding places with enough room for water flow. in the back right of the tank i have 3 802s running do you think that is enough or am i risking dead spots. on the left?
i got the following parameters so far after a week.
temp 79
ph 8.2
alk high
ammonia .25
No3 10
and
No2 0.1
salinity 1.0215
assuming that the nitrate process is yet to begin
skimmer is pulling a lot of brown water
does this seem ok?
also there is growth on the rocks in various forms anything i should look out for to remove?
thanks

autoponicz