HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this site looking for a new Skimmer....I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump....The overflow box and sump was just added ...trying to get rid of brown cloudy water....I did 3 water changes in the past week....two 30 gallon changes using disttiled water....wish I could get cleaer water.....looks like crap!....Also my marinland MJ 3000 return pump makes a loy of micro-bubbles which does not help....

The skimmer I am looking at is the Reef Octopus NW-110.....wich I see on this site.....Hard to make up my mind right now cause of price.....been going through some layoffs at work....Darn Automobile Industry.......

The Skimmer I have now is a SeaClown 100....enough said about that.

Nice looking Site Here!

Attachments

• 100_0486.jpg
    100_0486.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 230

premilove

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that your only source of filtration? whens the last time you tested your water? that does not look good, you should get that clown out of there asap..

HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that your only source of filtration? whens the last time you tested your water? that does not look good, you should get that clown out of there asap..

I have that clown. A Hippo Tang, A watchmen Goby, A cleaner shrimp, and a small blue damsel....The fish, believe it or not, look happy....The water was much worse that this a week ago before the three water changes....I have well water, I thought that was the culprit.....then I went and got spring water.....then I learned either RO/DI or distilled.....thats why all the water changes with distilled......no other filtration except for the crappy skimmer.....What do you suggest for filtration?.....I will include a pic of my sump....

Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
PH 8.4
Ammonia .25 Down from .5 do not know what is causing this...

Attachments

• 100_0487.jpg
    100_0487.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_0488.jpg
    100_0488.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 218

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
few questions, a it doesnt look like your sumps baffles are correct, could be reason for bubbles, could have a loose fitting or line on return sucking air, how long has the tank been running ? was rock alive when you got it ? i would suggest taking all fish out. i do have a skimmer f\s but your going to need to re-do that sump. also some filter socks on the drain will help collect most of the particals, as well as the heater doesnt look like it is big enough to do the job

HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few questions, a it doesnt look like your sumps baffles are correct, could be reason for bubbles, could have a loose fitting or line on return sucking air, how long has the tank been running ? was rock alive when you got it ? i would suggest taking all fish out. i do have a skimmer f\s but your going to need to re-do that sump. also some filter socks on the drain will help collect most of the particals, as well as the heater doesnt look like it is big enough to do the job
The tank has been up for about one year now....I added the sump a week ago made from a 30 gal tank I had. here is the link on how I built it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNe_OYgoL8&feature=related

On the heater you are only seeing 1 of 2 heaters I have in the sump.

I thought the same thing also on loose fitting on my return....I checked them all today they are tight....On that note. would it have anything to do with a T in the line, I have 3/4 PVC comming from the return pump, it has a T with two 1/2" pvc comming out and then into my tank.....Should I have ran 1 single 3/4 into the display tank.

HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on U-Tube for DIY Sump....there is two parts...by LimpitsReef.....that is how I built my sump....I thought the same as you about the fittings...all tight...One other thing on my return (Dont know if it matters)I have a 90 degree elbow on the pump pointing straight down about a 1/4 inch from the floor of the return chamber...I was just wondering if I need to put something. I do not know what....either in the return elbow on the pump, or the return elbows (two 1/2") pvc. Maybe I should have used 1 3/4" return in the display instead of a T with two 1/2 pipe going in tank....Any Thoughts on that?

HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the double post...It took a long time to show up, post number 8 that is...I thought I did something wrong.

HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap!!

I just was looking everything over again in my sump....one acrylic baffle on one side of the tank let loose.....in the middle skimmer section...I noticed water was not going over the first panel to the bubble trap....Time for a 20 gallon distilled water change again to drain the sump and repair......how long can I leave my sump turned off?.....I have three power heads in the display tank.....It will take over night I imagine for the silicone to set....

HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my sump empty....any thoughts on how long I can run without it?..I have 3 powerheads and moved my skimmer and carbon cannister filter up to the display...

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I think you should be okay once you take the appropriate steps. I wouldn't start over only because it could potentially bug out the fish. It's hard to tell in your pictures what exactly is the stuff in the cloudy water... is it sand?

Definitely get a different skimmer. An octopus NW110 should be fine for lifting the bad stuff. The Diatom Filter would definitely help as well. I would get a Micron filter sock and run it in the first chamber of the sump, a really fine one just to clear up all the particles in the water.

You said you were running a canister filter... What you have isn't a canister filter it's your standard hang on back wet dry. Screw that thing. I would buy 2 large bags of ChemiPure and place it right on top of your return pump so there is water flow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: