johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a 34 gal. Solana that has been set up for 5 weeks. There is 40 lbs. of LR and 30 lbs. of LS. I just put in 1 royal gamma and a green mushroom coral on Saturday. Recently I started putting the lights on every day ( 150 W MH pendant ) for 11 hours a day. My tests are as follows, temp = 79-81, 1.025 SG, Amm = 0, Nitrite < .05, Nitrate = 5. I use activated carbon. I use RO/DI water.

I'm seeing some algae but things look pretty good. At what point do I get a CUC? I have this fear that over night it will become a green mess!

Thanks!

Teddy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
the cuc should have been added before the royal gamma and green mushroom, but both are hardy fish/coral, u could probably start adding a small cuc now

johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The reason I didn't add a CUC before was I wasn't getting much algae. The algae started after the lights were on for long periods. I'm going to cut back the lighting starting today but I guess I misread ho long the lights should be on.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Lighting is your preference IMO. The fish will adjust. But a CUC is an absolute must, algae or not. They should have been in there to eat any excess detritus.

Get some sails/crabs/shrimps now.

NavyNano212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Congrats on the Solona, I just upgraded to one back in August and love it.
IMO, the lights are on a bit long, I keep mine on for 8 and it seems to be adequate. But, I also have a 250 SunPod and my corals love it.
Would definitely get your CUC in there and make sure the tank is finished cycling as 5 weeks seems short to me. I let my tank(my original Nano) go for almost three months before adding my CUC.
You should see a def increase in algae, just keep an eye on the parameters.
Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: