BIG L A

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
O.K I want to upgrade my lights , I dont have corals right now but I plan to get some ... Ive heard of LPS n SPS I want light that will support both ... I dont want to be limited and I dont want to upgrade again later ... PLEASE HELP

I have 120 gallon tank w/ built in overflow , 30 gallon sump , t 1000 protein skimmer , 4 x 65 pc lighting , 25 w UV sterilizer , Mag 12 as return pump ...
Filtration method : 110 lbs of live rock , lots of Bio Balls and 100 micron filter bag ... Dont have powerheads but I might go with tunze or vortechs

Last edited:

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It will do well with lps alright with sps, but nothing beats the way the tank looks with halides. Halides are point source lighting so as long as you have a power head breaking the surface of the water up you get the shimmer effect (which can also be benifical to your corals in the magnafication of the light intensity). T5's are more of an all over glow. If your going to go sps they will appreciate the halides more so than the t5's.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
you get the shimmer effect (which can also be benifical to your corals in the magnification of the light intensity).

Eeh, I recall an article where someone did a small-scale study showing that the 'shimmer effect' doesn't do anything for the growth of corals. If you think about it, it makes sense; the focusing effect creates a brighter area surrounded by a light-depleted penumbra -- the light gets focused away from that area and into the brighter area. The net effect is that everything averages out.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Big LA,

Also, remember that if you go with MH, it will heat the tank up more than T5s. MH = Chiller = Higher electric bill $$$. Or you can try to cool tank down with fans, etc.

I conquer! Except that I desagree on MH=Chiller. MH=A/C for me and all those who prefer to cool our selfs as well.;) A chiller will also add heat to the room.

Last edited:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I love Metal Halides for sps.... I would recomend Lumen Brights if you have the height to hang them...roughly 16" from bulb to water surface. If you dont have the height go with luminarc....either way they are bolth exceptional lighting choices.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: