PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I have had brackish, african cichlids, for 6 years now. I just recently decided to switch over to Salt Water and soon begin reef. I was just wondering if a T5 light with 216watts would be a decent start with a 90gal 48x18x24. Also, i was just wondering what other things i would need to start a beginner reef tank?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
First I would say get an Reverse Osmosis/ De-Ionization unit (RO/DI) if you don't already have one. Second that light is ok but you are going to want more output so I see an upgrade in the future. What type of filtration are you using? Canister? Protien skimmer? Refugium, sump? What are your parameters now?

PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
1) Brand new 48'' Aquavim T5 HO 216w (3x54 daylight, 1x54 actinics) fixture for sale (no LEDs) -- $140

2) Excellent condition 90g Ultimate Series Oceanic cherry tank with single overflow and stand (guaranteed no leaks or scratches). This has starphire glass, looks superb. -- $400

3) AGA glass sump / tank, 36x12x18. Comes with fluorescent light in lid if you wish -- $40

that is the new tank im going to use, with the sump. But i would only want like softies and a few caps and polyps. Do you think that light would be enough to hold that?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
RO/DI, Protein Skimmer(NOT a SeaClone), return pump, powerheads, heaters, thermometer, sand not crushed coral if you're planning on a substrate, salt, hydrometer, test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high ph, calcium, alkalinity), spare return pump, heaters, powerheads and depending on what fish you intend to keep a tank cover for jumpers.

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Poland,

it?s your first time with reefs?

If yes, BEFORE anything, read a lot, talk a lot, and ASK a lot!!

I thing that?s the best way to a good begin.

Hug

PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
yup, thats why im starting now, and also my cousin has a reef and can help me out, but for now im only planning on zoos, and softies with a 216watt light. That is fine, right?

Last edited:

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that?s fine for a while!
But if you try to SPS or even LPS, you?ll have to update your lighting.

If you need some help, let me know!

Hug

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there is a REFERENCE, that you must use 1w / L. IMO this is a good begin!

NOTE: I said a REFERENCE, ok!? It?s not a rule!

I realy like MH, but you can use T5 for SPSs too. Many people uses!

Hug

PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
i got a 90gal... but im also thinking of getting some led lights
but i can keep sps in those lights righht?

Also, what is a rodi system.. and how do you set it up and where? How much does it cost? Do you prefer having one?

Last edited:

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Poland,

I don?t know anyone that uses LEDs with SPSs yet. I don?t know if it will works properly.

A RODI is a system with two parts for filtration
RO = Reverse Osmosis
DI = Deionized

Usually it?s set up near your tap water to filter the water BEFORE the usage in the reef as topoff or water change.

The RO you have to buy because of your?s system of membranes.
The DI you can DIY without problem easily

You can use one or them separetelly, but both works better together.

A RODI or DI only or RO only, are essential for a good quality water for the reef.

Hug

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: