aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello Everybody,

Well I had a bunch of fish die on me recently... and honestly I have no idea why. A few days ago my readings were great

Using a virtually new API Saltwater test kit

pH: 8.0-8.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

I had a Sailfin Tang die on me the day I took those readings (2 days ago). Today... I came home to a dead Engineer Goby whom I have had for 5 months. I have a feeling he didn't eat enough (which is weird too... but I added two Pearly Jawfish and he has been acting funky since I bought them last week).

Anyway the problem lies here. I took another test.

Everything was the same except my nitrate was 40 ppm :bigeyes:
FYI I am running an XL Aquaripure Denitrator which works great, but wthell happened?!

So my short term solution while I wait for water to be made: I just injected my weekly vodka dose into the denitrator and I put in Amquel + to get rid of the nitrates by tomorrow.

I decided to use a TDS meter on my RODI water. It was reading 999ppm+. So I thought it was my RODI because I did a 15% water change 3 days ago. But then I took a nitrate test... and it measured 0 ppm. Fish and corals are doing fine for now.

So I am completely and utterly confused and want input. :eek:

wallysworld

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Even at 40ppm nitrates shouldn't kill fish. In fish only tank that number isn't so bad.

1. Check electrical current in the tank. Get a milli amp meter put one end in the water and the other on a ground(baseboard heater, any copper plumbing...)
2. Check temp. I once had the pot on a heater go bad and the temp was 90 when I thought it was 80.
3. I would use some carbon in a canister filter just incase some kind of pioson got into the tank somehow.
4. If the fish dies inspect gills for parasites.

Good luck!

-Walter

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
-I was thinking electrical leaks too, because water with high TDS serves as a conductor, but I don't have much going in the tank besides... the std. return pump, skimmer, and 3 powerheads. None of which have breaks in the wire.

-Temperature has been staying at 78-80. I have a sticker themometer and the heater automatically shuts on and off.

-I am already running two bags of Carbon. Both Chemipure and a bag of Chemipure elite with the Ferric Oxide

-Didn't see any parasites... then again the fish was half eaten :irked:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
As mentioned a nitrate reading of 40 won't kill fish.
Can you borrow a TDS meter from anyone nearby? Are they possibly flushing the water pipes near you (they are doing it in my area over the next month or so).
Considering you added 2 pearly jawfish last week and you have had 2 other fish die since then, I'd keep an eye on the 2 new fish for issues.
Are they eating well? Any cloudy eyes?
Any odd/unusual behavior from the Sailfin before you lost him?

High TDS in water isn't necessarily a conductor of electricity. TDS doesn't tell you what is 'high' in the water -just that 'something' is. Saltwater in and of itself is an excellent conductor.

Sorry for your losses :(

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Nitrates are back to 5 ppm after some Amquel+ (gotta love that stuff in emergencies)

-I have a TDS meter I bought from Air Water and Ice and it gave the reading I stated above, perhaps it wasn't calibrated properly?

-The Jawfish are fine for now. Stomachs look good, one is a little bit shy. The sailfin was doing fine... it was REALLY random.

Thanks for the condolences. I am going to leave the tank alone for a few weeks (appropriately because I will be busy as heck). Let's see what happens :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
TDS meters don't get calibrated :( Are you storing it dry? (which is fine damp or dry, just no bizarre fluids for it!).
Try swishing it around in some other rodi water (if you got SW on it , it may just be dirty from that). Or try some distrilled or bottled water to see if you get a more normal reading? If that doesn't work, I'd contact AWI.

I agree that if all of your readings are stable now, just watch the tank and be alert to the actions of the fish and any unusual behavior..cloudy eyes, flashing, unusual orientation in the water...

Please do keep us updated :)

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I bought the TDS meter and never used it till a few days ago. Quite literally it was in the USPS box. I'm going to see what happens. Maybe I didn't use it properly?

bimmer thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

I couldn't find my Royal Gramma last night, but I think he is sleeping because when I came home it was lights out lol.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Okay I think... I THINK.... My Royal Gramma might have left the building.

He was at least 4 years old. I bought him from a fellow reefer at (approx. 4 years of age) and I have had him for the past 5 months or so.

I am hoping he is just sleeping and will come out tomorrow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: