SnakeEyes27

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Im looking to start my first reef tank and have run into the simple issue of filling it with water... I've called a few stores and they all recomended buying either a RO/DI purifier or buying water from them for ~$1 a gallon.
My problem is the price of a purifier or the issue of transporting ~30 gallons of water on the subway.

My question is can you use Tap/Spring water and use phosphate and nitrate removers in the tanks while it cycles? If not any other recomendations?

Thanks

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
People that are using RO/DI water, ourselves included, are using phosphate media as well. There are other things that we introduce into our tanks that cause phosphates ie. feeding. The amount of phosphates can be dramatically different from one person using tap water and one using ro/di. There are also a ton of other things in tap water that don't belong in a reef. Do people use tap water successfully, yes, do more people have success using ro/di water, yes.

Personally we use RO/DI water, we have a well and the water tests out of the well better than city water around here.. still I use ro/di and test my tds' regularly. It is one less "what if" or obstacle to overcome if there are any problems. At least I can eliminate it not being the water going in. kwim?

Your best option is either to set up an RO/DI unit yourself, there are those here that have them set up as a portable unit, others permanent. -or- buy the RO/DI water from the LFS.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This is an expensive hobby, often times $$$ needs to be spent suddenly to replace this/that if you don't have a spare of something on hand. (though you've come to a great place to find deals from vendors and other members) Start off correctly in the beginning and you will save $$ overtime. Good luck.

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a mighty mite RO/DI unit that i will sell you. It would be good for your size tank. I just upgraded to a larger tank so i need a higher capacity RO/DI unit. Send me a PM if you have interest.

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/Mighty_Mite_50GPD_with_DI_Added.html
How often do you need to change any parts on it? - that's what is stopping me from buying one of the water filters. I know someone who sells a $2K water filter with lifetime cartridge replacement, and they even track the time and will call you when your cartridge is due to be replaced, but $2K is a bit bity.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
This is an expensive hobby, often times $$$ needs to be spent suddenly to replace this/that if you don't have a spare of something on hand. (though you've come to a great place to find deals from vendors and other members) Start off correctly in the beginning and you will save $$ overtime. Good luck.

+1 to everything Pink said...especially that part about it being an expensive hobby and starting correctly saving you money. :)

Tap water is OK in an emergency when you need to do a water change and don't have time in a crisis to wait for RO, but I wouldn't use it long term. I started out trying tap water and things in the tank didn't thrive. Well, everything except the algae. I switched to RO/DI and everyone was much happier...including me.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
you can also just run a di system. i ditched my ro membrane and just use the three canisters, with a prefilter, a carbon block, and a di cannister. i get 0 tds out the other end, and can make 5 gallons of water in just a few minutes. just keep an eye on the tds meter and change your resin when your tds goes above 0. its like a giant API tap water filter ;)

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Buy a nice cheap rodi filter at purewaterclub.com for $65 plus shipping works great the membrane would probably last you 12/16 months.

I agree, I've had mine for a few years now and it works great, replacement filter kits are cheap too. http://www.purewaterclub.com/
If you want for $2000. I'll put one in for you and replace the filters for a lifetime! :tongue1: :birthday:

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
and to answer your initial question, yes you can use bottled water for your tank. I run my nano in the office using only poland springs for makeup and topoff and have no problems.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
and to answer your initial question, yes you can use bottled water for your tank. I run my nano in the office using only poland springs for makeup and topoff and have no problems.

Just want to note here, Poland spring is unfiltered spring water. Just because its bottled, doesn't make it better. The only benefit I can see over tap water is that it doesn't have any chlorine.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Just want to note here, Poland spring is unfiltered spring water. Just because its bottled, doesn't make it better. The only benefit I can see over tap water is that it doesn't have any chlorine.

the tap water in my office shows about 30-40 ppm tds. the poland springs shows 3-5 ppm. thats a big enough benefit over the tap water for me.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
The advice given to you here is excellent advice.. I started my first tank many moons ago with tap water filtered through a cheap DI filter and my tank was never very happy not mention not very pretty to look at.;(
Two years ago I re-did it using RO/DI water and oh my God What A Difference................... I purchased my RO/DI from AirWaterIce.com and have only replaced my filters this year. And I only replaced them because they were 2 years old as my TDS were still reading 0.;)
There are pics of my tank before and after RO/DI on MR somewhere if your interested in looking them up.;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: