Hoolio521

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently set up my 46 gallon bow front aquarium. I just have a question as to when / how often should i clean my fluval 305 canister filter ... also ... know this sounds silly ... but ....

what exactly is the process or procedure for cleaning it? i.e. what do i have to do?

jacuglietto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a slightly larger canister and my routine goes like this. Change one filter pad, and rinse two filter pads in aquarium water. Leave fourth filter pad alone. two weeks later, change one compartment filled with carbon, leave second one alone. two weeks later, change a different filter pad, rinse two, leave the one that was changed the prior time alone. two weeks later, change that second carbon compartment, and leave the other alone.

not sure if that was clear for you, but the idea is to never do a complete overhaul of the system. To battle this i stagger when i change different filter elements. rinsing off some of the filter pads rather than swapping them out for new ones eases the cost of mainenance a bit, and keeps the filter from getting backed up.

BTW, as someone who wishes he had done differently, i would try to set up a sump system. the canisters are nice, but they limit what you can do.

Hoolio521

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply ! Still have a few questions though haha. Okay when you say change the carbon do you mean replace all of the carbon ...things?... with new ones? Jeeze that's gonna be expensive ! Also maybe since mine is a smaller size i only have one foam filter pad instead of the two ... so i guess that asnwers that question. Is it okay to wash with tap water or is it better to do tank water. and is there any way to know when the filter really really needs to be cleaned or is backed up? thanks for helping me out ... hope getting this canister filter wasnt a mistake ...

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Hi Hoolio,
Welcome to MR! I perform similar maintenance on my canister filter as stated by jacuglietoo, although I run mine on freshwater tanks. I run my carbon for a month before changing it out. Yes, you should remove the old carbon and replace it with new. This is because the water polishing capabilities of the carbon are used up over time. How long is carbon actually useful as a water polisher? One week, one month, or more? Well that can depend on the tank itself and other factors that an in depth scientific study could (and I am sure has) determined. However, to keep things simple, and to keep a fresh supply of new carbon running on my tank, I replace half of the carbon on bi weekly intervals. This ensures that at least some, if not all, of the carbon in my canister is doing its intended job.

The mechanical filter pads should be cleaned with old tank water. I wring the pads out in a bucket of old tank water during my water change routine. You do not want to use tap water because you will undoubtable introduce the tap water into your tank and that is not good. Tap water contains chlorine and chloramines that kill bacteria (the beneficial ones too), and can also contain metals, phosphate, etc. Also, I reuse my filter pads until they are ragged or so clogged that wringing them out no longer cleans them well enough. I wring them out every two weeks.

Finally, you should do a thorough cleaning of the entire canister every three months. The mechanical filter pads only collect so much detritus. Eventually there will be an accumulation in the bottom of the canister itself that needs to be cleaned. I rinse the actual canister out in the sink, making sure to wipe it dry before filling it with the media again. You can also clean the other media you use at this time (i.e. ceramic rings used bio filtration). Again, you should rinse this media in old tank water.

Well, I hope this helps. If you have any other questions let us know.

Hoolio521

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dacaptain for helping me out. Are the mechanical filter pads the ones with the foam? as you can see i am not entireley familiar with my new fluval haha.

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hoolio,
You can go with the canister if you have Fresh water tank.
I strongly advise AGAINST it if you are going salt-water.
Reason being - I had a 204 filter on my 10 G SW tank. There was summer power outage that cause a massive bacteria dieoff in the filter. Then the power went back on spewing all the [r@p back into my tank and KILLING off EVERYTHING!
Good that I lost only like 30-50 bucks worth of living creaturs, but with your size the loss can go MUCH higher.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: