johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm sitting here eating my dinner and I hear the auto-topoff in my Solana dripping for a long time and getting louder. I go over to the tank and noticed that the level of the water in the tank is rising and the level in the rear middle chamber and the chamber by the return pump is getting lower. Now I had checked this when I got home because I am close to needing to change the filter pad and I like to check if it is slow, although I cleaned it last night. But this is way lower then it has gotten before I clean it.

Well my sea hare is covering half of the pre-filter grooves where the water is drawn into the rear chamber. I pushed him away which means he landed on some rocks a clumsy way. A few minutes later I see him climbing up the wall, but towards the corner, goes along the glass side, loses his grip and slides onto my only coral. Argghh!

At first I thought if this happened when I wasn't home I would have a flood but now I'm thinking it would just flow over the divider. So hopefully no flood in the future.

As far as the coral goes, I have been thinking of moving him to a place with more light in the center away from the side so it seems like a smart move to do that now.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
sea hares seem to always be on a suicide mission. if you want to keep one you have to protect it from your powerheads and over flows with mesh of some sort. IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN...you were lucky to be home this time. Im not familiar with solana all in one setups but even if it does not overflow from the auto top off continuoulsy running it still can be harmful to your tank inhabitants because of the change in salinity.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
It will eventually overflow the tank. I have seen it happen on my solana and caught it. I made a guard over the overflow made from egg crate to make sure things can't get that close anymore.

Removing the black sponge in the overflow will help too and eventually that waterfall noise you won't even hear. But for the first week or so it will drive you nuts!

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
A few minutes later I see him climbing up the wall, but towards the corner, goes along the glass side, loses his grip and slides onto my only coral. Argghh!

Meh, the hare landing on the coral wouldn't be likely to do anything more than make the coral retract -- unless it's got a particularly potent sting, then it might cause problems with the sea hare.

johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've decided to get rid of the sea hare. I get a kick out of him but he has gotten rid of my excessive algae and I'm probably going to have to start feeding him. I found a taker so I can pass him on for someone else who needs him.

I like the idea of the return guard.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: