Hoolio521

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i be doing anything to prevent the sand from becoming dirty? it seems there is a brownish layer starting to form on the sand. i was gonna get another korali which owuld increase water circulation (would this help) also planning on getting some gobies and hermit crabs. does the sand becoming a darker color mean any of the chemicals are off? thanks

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
If it looks like this, search Manhattan Reefs for diatoms

881527977_2c124e592e.jpg

Hoolio521

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these harmful? and how do i get rid of htem? it doesn't like quite like that yet but i think it might be on the way... want to act now before it goes like that. do you have any more information?

HHaase

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long has the tank been set up? New tanks all get diatoms within the first few weeks, normally they go away on their on after a while.

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, diatoms are pretty much inevitable with most new systems and any fresh sand added. (you'll even get short bouts when adding sand to a well established set up alot of the time). Silicates are the driving force behind thier ultimate survival, which they use to build the cell wall structure. As long as you arnt adding more by way of poor quality water (hence the common recommendation for RO/DI) then they should use up the reserves in the tank and what came in with the sand within a few weeks.

Even mild cyanobacteria blooms i wouldnt worry about too much, as these are quite common as well early on.

You could stir the sand to break them apart but to be honest I wouldnt bother as most of it will just settle out again, plus you'll just be disturbing the sand layer at a time when its trying to settle and stabalise (thats if you are intending running a shallow live bed, rather than a cosmetic one thats syphoned).

Generally I'd just sit back and relax. Tanks commonly go through several cycles in the first 6-12 months. The better the water quality (low free nutrient pool) the quicker and less invasive these cycles will be. Alot of the time, interfering just stretches out the process even longer imo.

Regards

Simon.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: