johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Last night I did a 10% water change in a 34 gal. Solana. Using the water that I siphoned out I tested for pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. All were good. Tonight I did the following tests using tank water that I pulled from the tank tonight, so it is post water change. My thinking is that it would represent what the water change would do.

SG = 1.0243
Calcium = 400 mg/L
Magnesium = 1280
Alkalinity = 2.74 meq/L
Iodine = was near .00

I couldn't believe the Iodine measurement so I did it again. Same thing. So I tested the reference that came with the kit. That came out correct. I then tested it again with my water and it was near zero. As I stated previously, this is from post-change water.

I have 3 fish. 4 corals, a few hermits and about a dozen or so snails and 1 sand sifting star fish. The tank is only a few months old. I use Tropic Marin salt. My first coral, a green mushroom coral, was looking limp for a while but has been looking good for the last few weeks.

I have a bottle of Seachem Reef Iodide that I bought. But before I start dosing with that I wanted to check with more experienced hobbyists and get advice on what to do.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Well i'm not experienced enough but i'v used the Seachem Iodine test kit and i found that some Iodine solutions get used up very quickly by the corals .Maybe it's because i have a giant colt coral.I add Iodine in the morning and i'ts use up by the end of the day .I use Lugol's Solution every day or so.The danger is,this solution is very strong and an over dose can be detrimental to the corals.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: