russ1976

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to set up the tank. I'm on a budget, so have to do things the hard way at times.

During discussions at the local fish store I was told I could get 40# of "live sand" for $50 along with what live rock I can afford. I assumed (yes I bad), that this would come from one of their dozens of refuge tanks they run with live rock. But, it's simply the bagged stuff...

While the sand may have all the needed bacteria, etc... I doubt any of the larger life forms needed for an effective DSB would be there.

At $9 a pound for their "live rock" I can't afford very much. Would even 20# or so of the live rock eventually seed the sandbed? (I'll have to get some dead/base rock too)

Eventually I want to keep a Mandarin, and I've now learned that live foods are a necessity. Will the tank be able to develop a population capable of supporting a single mandarin? Or, would a purchase of an order of the "live food" you can get be needed.

Thanks for the help!

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
The live sand in a bag is not really worth it imho...Just get some dry sand and live rock. you can "seed" the sand with a small amount of real live sand from an established system if you want, but I also don't think thats really necessary.

If you are really on a budget, just get a bunch of dry rock for a buck or two a pound, and a few lbs of nice live rock.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I use the live sand, I like it. But regular sand will become live after a little while during your cycle. Like J says get some base rock, and a few lbs of live rock and a cup of sand from an established tank and start your cycle going. Patience and time is they key thing at this stage.

gobywon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey there Russ,
You can find live rock at some of the major retailers like dr fosters, currently 90 bucks for 45lbs of standard fiji live rock plus shipping. Then get some regular sand and seed it a bit from an established tank. I recently restarted my tank with live rock from them and it arrived without any smell and cycled my tank quickly. Now a few weeks later under the lights it is showing some large patches of reddish coraline among other things.I also picked up a small 1pound piece of particularly growth covered live rock form a local store and put it in there too.

Hope that gets you started for a reasonable amount.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: