• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
i have plenty of live rock in my tank and plenty of store bought coral line algae. i have been advised to take out the bio balls in my sump. my nitrates, nitrites, amonia, and phosphates are low but not zero. after all of the bio balls are out will this help the coraline spread. i also keep a calcium level of 480ppm with purple up. thanks in advance for your thoughts

straightjiggy10

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.2%
235   2   0
If coraline is exposed to air it will die thats the reasons to remove bioballs + because they raise your nitates which coraline cant thrive in as well, my advice to you is wait it out slow down on the purple up get a 2 part calcium like B-ionic and focus on your parimeters and not the coraline, and before you'll know it you'll be posting a thread on how can you get rid of it!

Nutrients Required by Coralline Algae:

One thing to remember about growing coralline algae is that excessive levels of phosphate and lack of calcium will stunt its growth. Calcium levels should be at least 400ppm and phosphate levels should be kept below 0.3ppm. Other nutrient requirements of coralline algae include strontium, magnesium, some trace elements, and vitamins.

Last edited:

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
the best way to get coraline is to maintain your Calcium , alkalinity, and magnesium...
all 3 of these parameters are related. if kept in check along with lower nutrient system you will get coraline algea.. If you dont already you should have test kits for those parameters before you start dosing any thing

Avgou

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the post says above, take it easy with the Purple Up...Alkalinity to Calcium is a 2 to 1 ratio and Coraline algae loves Alkalinity, it will exhaust your tank of it especially if it's not supplemented...

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
DONT USE PURPLE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its like drugs when you come off you crash (your tank) come off it slowly and just use calcium. good on taking the bio balls out, just use live rock. wait for nitrite and amonia to cycle out and you are good to go.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: